Sign in to follow this  
zimbonz

Wheel and Tyre Inspection

Hi All,

Hoping you can help me with this. I have a 2003 E60, that I have wanted to replace the wheels for a while. As my tyres need replacing I thought I would look on TradeMe for any options.

I ended up purchasing these:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.asp?id=781347117

However, something about the after sale communications (overseas email address), different names (email says one thing, his signature another and bank account yet another) made me query what I was getting into. I see he has quite a bit of negative feedback around selling damaged tyres that do not pass WOF.

AsI have already completed the sale (ie. purchased the auction) what options do I have to make sure I have decent quality wheels/tyres? Can I request that we meet at a WOF station to get them inspected first before taking possession?

Appreciate any help you can give. I know, I should have checked the feedback first...

Cheers,

Ryan

Edited by zimbonz

I have bought tyres from him before. Think it was a taiwanese or chinese guy.

I would meet and look at the tyres at his home. Pay a cash deposit for say 2 tyres and get it checked out then go back and pay the rest.

Or get a letter in writing to say he will refund u if any problems are found (before u actually use them. Cuz once u put them on its your problem)

But tbh i think its a crazy expensive price what you 'paid' (not yet)

You can surely get a better deal on some decent secondhand or aftermarket mags and some NEW tyres. Not ones that have been imported from overseas.

I would try to get out of the trade by telling trademe of his bad feedback that you noticed after clicking buy now. And also email the seller saying youre not comfortable buying it.

Btw a wof place wont know sh*t about good quality mags or tyres so best to take it to a reputable tyre shop. If u were to go down that road.

I would look at the first tyre and say "these aren't brand new" and back out of the deal.

Auction states "brand new" yet the tyres have clearly been used, not much, but a bit - all the moulding bristles have worn off.

• Like 1

If you're not happy don't buy them. Yeah you won the auction, but people back out all the time. Worst thing that will happen is you get a bad feedback.

Edited by polley

I dealt with him, he sent me a damaged tyre, I threatened to come to Auckland and "deal with it personally". He refunded me.

Forgot to add i got two good bridgestone potenzas from him in the past. I think its a bit hit as miss. But i wouldnt gamble it when its over 3k at stake. I paid like 500 for a pair of 235 35 19 or something so it was worth it but yea..

Thanks all. The tyres didn't fit, and he refunded the money that I paid him, so all good... Guess I dodged one there!

I will have a look for decent wheels and tyres on the site first - any ideas, feel free to pm.

Cheers,

R

Hahaha great post^ i always check my spare when i buy a car because 99% od jappas have space savers or tyre is as old as the car.

Yes I understand my obligations, thanks. I was just trying to protect myself, as his feedback had me worried. Non issue now, as I said. The tyres didn't fit my vehicle despite the auction claiming they would. He repaid the cash I paid him, so all good.