Sign in to follow this  
Allanw

Rebuild of a car I brought new in 1994

I'm probably starting a bit early, but the boys and I started on our first car "rebuild" together.

Solomon is 4, Van is 2 :lol:

They "helped"... but sometimes their help slowed down the progress.

I'm wondering if there are any anoraks out there who can guess what the car is, before scrolling down too far ;)

I brought it new in 1994.

It's 4wd

V8...

...in the rear B)

manual

4 wheel steering

double wishbones all 'round

Left hand drive (though easy to convert if required)

2 seater

It has that icon of 90's sylishness... pop-up headlights (who didn't wish their Dads car had them when you were a kid???)

It's not seen the light of day for many years! Probably 10 years in storage at various properties around Northland.

I just received the last few parts required last week, from Germany, although it was actually made in Denmark...

To be continued :P ...

• Like 1

It's also made almost entirely of "composites"...

15346783790_250806e8ee_z.jpg

14912247313_e67600422a_z.jpg

15346407377_996fd97a6d_z.jpg

14912243683_6361d4f83e_z.jpg

and I was 15 when I got it...

:P:lol:B):P:lol:B):P:lol:B):P:lol:B):P:lol:B)

Edited by Allanw

Oh you. Technic kits were my dream as a child. twenty years on, I think nothing has changed. may you have many years of restoring your first vehicle with your kids, mate.

• Like 1

Oh you. Technic kits were my dream as a child. twenty years on, I think nothing has changed. may you have many years of restoring your first vehicle with your kids, mate.

Haha - yeah - I haven't grown up much at all - Kids are a GREAT excuse for toys!

• Like 1

I have that same kit - got in 94' also. Built it up about 3 years ago..... still took me 11 hours to complete it after 17 years.

Haha - yeah - I haven't grown up much at all - Kids are a GREAT excuse for toys!

The amount of Star Wars Lego I've 'bought for Wolf' is obscene ;)

• Like 1

This is a funny coincidence as I had only two weeks back pulled with my brother our instruction manuals from our kits to reminisce. I also came across the old Matchbox Car collectors catalogues which were awesome to go through.

Those were definitely the days and the reason my brother is now a world renowned product designer...........wonder what happened to me! (probably getting a skateboard in 86!).

post-7876-0-13771000-1413321301_thumb.jp

post-7876-0-00801300-1413321313_thumb.jp

post-7876-0-36751900-1413321327_thumb.jp

post-7876-0-92729700-1413321343_thumb.jp

post-7876-0-80594900-1413321356_thumb.jp

Hmmm - have to dig out the Technic D6 bulldozer ive got!

Definitely! It's good for the mind :D

I somehow dread the day when they are tall enough to reach my sets :)

ah... Kra gl e

11808390674_b028c2ab58_m.jpg

:D

I have that same kit - got in 94' also. Built it up about 3 years ago..... still took me 11 hours to complete it after 17 years.

Haha! Cool. It's pretty rare, but can be found on eBay... not cheap though. I remeber the first timme building it took FOREVER! I had the day off school, and had it have an MRI. I started building it at my Aunty's place before hand, and was still building it while I sat in the nasty robe with the split up the back, waiting for the scan. Finished sometime very late that night B)

The amount of Star Wars Lego I've 'bought for Wolf' is obscene ;)

Haha! Such a convenient excuse. Also, the old TV show DVDs - We don't have TV at home, but have a lot of DVDs etc. Solomon is heavily into Transformers... but the real/1980s version :lol: . Also stuff like Thunderbirds (plus I have almost every Gerry Anderson box set), 1966 Batman, and plenty of 80's and 90's stuff like Inspector Gadget, chip and Dale Rescue Rangers, Animaniacs. I only got it for the boys though! ;)

This is a funny coincidence as I had only two weeks back pulled with my brother our instruction manuals from our kits to reminisce. I also came across the old Matchbox Car collectors catalogues which were awesome to go through.

Those were definitely the days and the reason my brother is now a world renowned product designer...........wonder what happened to me! (probably getting a skateboard in 86!).

Awesome! I had the "Model Team" truck too - got it in the US in 1989 B) . Sold it in 1994 with ALL my other Lego to fund the car above :( I had the Lego "test car" too:

Lego_Technic_8865_Super_Car_017.jpg

It's nice to know I'm not the only Lego Nerd :) ...

...and not the only father trying to relive my childhood vicariously through my kids :P

• Like 1

It's nice to know I'm not the only Lego Nerd :) ...

...and not the only father trying to relive my childhood vicariously through my kids :P

And we know we can live it better the second time around! ;)

Looking for stuff around the house to flock off on TM --> want to get the new Volvo L350F set.

DON'T sell old lego though - sell a kidney or something.

It's an awesome kit for under $400 B)

I can't buy it though... back on one income very soon... sproglet 3 due mid/late November

Hi all - 42043 set is out since yesterday. Mercedes Benz Arocs 3245. 25% off this weekend at Toyworld. RRP $399

Hi all - 42043 set is out since yesterday. Mercedes Benz Arocs 3245. 25% off this weekend at Toyworld. RRP $399

NICE!

If only I had any money left :lol:

My son use to have a sleeping bag full of lego before he past away.

Now we have given it to my grand son,

one state he had a whole street on that cabinet right around

post-3075-0-45545700-1440225426.jpg

post-3075-0-11194200-1440225441.jpg

post-3075-0-97395300-1440225453.jpg

post-3075-0-51506900-1440225475.jpg

• Like 3

Holy Moly Hans. I hope they become a family heirloom! I too have just renewed my passion, and hope to collect more!