Sign in to follow this  
Arma

VANOS Seals vs Rebuilt VANOS unit?

So I know a lot of m54 (and m52, m62 etc.) owners do the Vanos seals job to deal with the leaks and Vanos rattle and I hear it's a pretty expensive job labour-wise. My question is, I've seen a lot of rebuilt vanos units that be bought and shipped here for ~$300-400 total. Is it worth buying a completely rebuilt unit and installing it or actually getting the Vanos seals job done (by a mechanic, assume you have no mechanical expertise)? How hard of a job is it to just install the Vanos unit? So no taking it apart to do the seals or anything since it's already rebuilt.

Example rebuilt unit:

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/ShoppingCart.aspx?add=true&ReturnUrl=showproduct.aspx%3fProductID%3d5776

Just vanos is easy. Rebuilding the vanos unit is the easy part anyway, it's getting everything else right is the hard part! Just finished, as in 10mins ago, redoing the timing in mine as it was out from doing a full vanos rebuild myself, helps if the timing dowel isn't bent!

There's a really easy way to do it on m50/m52 you can do the vanos in place, remove the piston from the vanos unit leaving it in the cam. Actually took me like just over an hour.

Not sure if same method can be used on the dual vanos ones .. But it definitely makes a DIY well worth it when the vanos seals 60bucks shipped.

M54 Vanos is piss easy - timing doesn't change - just te piiston mechanism is taken off.

Follow the Beisan giude (although he says it takes 4-6 hours, it takes a couple for someone with some vague clue what they're doing). I think I did ours in a couple of hours I think, and I had to go and hunt out the right torx socket.

I don't know if the difference is as noticable in an auto, but it made a massive difference in our manual.

The only real difference between fitting the seals, and a rebuilt unit is the seals themselves. Fitting the rebuilt unit still involves screwing in the left hand thread screws. If yours isn't rattling, may as well just do the seals - it probably only adds 10 to 30 mins MAX to the procedure

ANYONE (who can read) can do it on an M54, IF you follow the Beisan guide - buy new bolt the bolt the pistons to the cams (the left hand thread ones), a new lower gasket, copper washers for the vanos hose etc.

Edited by Allanw
  • Like 1

M54 Vaons is piss easy - timing doesn't change - just te piiston mechanism is taken off.

Follow the Beisan giude (although he says it takes 4-6 hours, it takes a couple for someone with some vague clue what they're doing). I think I did ours in a couple of hours I think, and I had to go and hunt out the right torx socket.

I don't know if the difference is as noticable in an auto, but it made a massive difference in our manual.

The only real difference between fitting the seals, and a rebuilt unit is the seals themselves. Fitting the rebuilt unit still involves screwing in the left hand thread screws. If yours isn't rattling, may as well just do the seals - it probably only adds 10 to 30 mins MAX to the procedure

ANYONE (who can read) can do it on an M54, IF you follow the Beisan guide - buy new bolt the bolt the pistons to the cams (the left hand thread ones), a new lower gasket, copper washers for the vanos hose etc.

Have always referred to this guide for my engine:

http://www.beisansystems.com/procedures/vanos_procedure.htm

I mean, I'd love to be able to do the job myself but it looks pretty involved so feel a pro should do it instead. Taking the vanos unit apart just sounds risky to me (noob). The reason I want to get it done is because there seems to be oil leaking from the Vanos. Perhaps it is just the gasket, but perhaps not. So may end up getting it done by a pro.

Also, does Besian systems still sell the kit? It's on their website, just wondering whether they are still operating. Are there any alternative seals kits?

Edited by Arma

I'm getting ray@hellbm to do my s50b32 VANOS .. Apparently a pretty big task cos of the intake and exhaust VANOS ..

• Like 1

Have always referred to this guide for my engine:

http://www.beisansystems.com/procedures/vanos_procedure.htm

I mean, I'd love to be able to do the job myself but it looks pretty involved so feel a pro should do it instead. Taking the vanos unit apart just sounds risky to me (noob). The reason I want to get it done is because there seems to be oil leaking from the Vanos. Perhaps it is just the gasket, but perhaps not. So may end up getting it done by a pro.

Also, does Besian systems still sell the kit? It's on their website, just wondering whether they are still operating. Are there any alternative seals kits?

They are still operating and Raj is a very good helpful guy.

Sorry for the delayed response here, but the Beisan Systems kit has only just come on my radar and I'm considering getting it and doing it myself.

KwS, what did you mean about his guide being wrong..?

James

edit: Sorry... just found your excellent guide in another thread. Should've searched first!

Edited by jaimzthedrummer
  • Like 1