Sign in to follow this  
francoisv

Rebuilt M62

I saw this too. I cant imagine rebuilding one of these is worth it, knowing you can get a secondhand motor for about a grand or 2, and that will last you 10 years maybe? It's only stock so the advantages would be minimal. 2.8k is pretty steep and then you still have to finish assembling it. Parts are eye watering for bmw's, I wouldn't rebuild one of these V8's unless I was doing a serious performance motor, and even then, I would have to question the maths, because then you might as well just go the whole hog and get this...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/bmw/engines/auction-817430360.htm

Now that miiiggghhhttttt be worth it. Just maybe.

Haha, yea I would love the S62. But $15K is a little out of reach for now. Like my 540 M62 pulls pretty sweet at the moment, but it really does need to be rebuilt or at least cleaned up enough to withstand the supercharger being rammed onto it.

Guess if I was to sell my Mazda Atenza, I could take that and the $5k for the engine rebuild and buy the S62.

• Like 2

I guess buying an engine someone has started to rebuild will always have its potential problems - i.e you just don't know how good a job they've done up to that point. $2800 is a pretty big gamble in that regard.

Were I in your shoes I'd have a think about a basic overhaul on your M62. Head gaskets, cooling system and oil gaskets. Definitely worth inspecting rod and crank bearings but I wouldn't replace them for the sake of it. I'm also assuming you're not planning on running huge boost through the motor. From talking to a few people I'm of the understanding that modern engines can usually take up to 6-7psi before needing upgraded internals, though call me out if I'm misguided here.

And if the current motor goes pop a replacement will be easily and relatively cheaply sourced :)

Just my two cents

• Like 1

Well the motor seems fine ATM, although it has signs of the over heating in the past. I defiantly want to at least do the rocker cover gaskets just to get a look inside the motor. Its has a thermostat replaces and a radiator hose, so without actually opening up the engine, I cant really say what the internal condition is like.

And I agree with you on not replacing parts for the hell of it. Jerry Clayton seem to think, that if done correctly, the M62 non-vanos can handle close to 10psi. Some even 1bar. But you never know until you try.

So I guess its fair to say that buying a semi built motor is probably not the way to go. Just means I have to do some more DYI haha

• Like 1

Thats pretty cheap for a fresh m62, i spent over 7k on mine by the time i had done all the preventative stuff, cam chain, guides, tensioners etc. I think a complete gasket set from BMW is 4k for that motor!!

If you are going to s/c it you may want to do your own rebuild so you know its right, but prepare to spend some big money, the s62 might work out cheaper!! And it comes with a 6 speed!! ;)

if yours is running ok m, and compression check comes up over 200psi , then just run with that , give it some new gaskets and redo the cooling bits , should be good for 100-200,000km more

• Like 3

Yea will keep that in mind. Just need to start getting a list together for the gasket set and cooling. Will have to come get a radiator off you soon. the other one has a slight crack just under the second hose connection

oh but check the timing chain guides , that's the weak part on these engines

If you don't want to tear down the engine to see inside, then a good compression test as Brent mentioned, plus possibly a leak-down test and smoke test will tell you what kind of condition the motor is in.

Plus, as mentioned above, boost = more power = more heat = more load on the cooling system. So give that a good overhaul, flush and replace with quality coolant, check all hoses, new waterpump, etc. Nothing worse than popping the cooling system and cooking a new engine.

If you don't want to tear down the engine to see inside, then a good compression test as Brent mentioned, plus possibly a leak-down test and smoke test will tell you what kind of condition the motor is in.

Plus, as mentioned above, boost = more power = more heat = more load on the cooling system. So give that a good overhaul, flush and replace with quality coolant, check all hoses, new waterpump, etc. Nothing worse than popping the cooling system and cooking a new engine.

Yea its just had a massive coolant over haul. 11.3L of semi decent coolant from repco. Hasn't got a new waterpump installed yet, but that will def be on the list to replace along with the radiator and sensors. Like I don't mind getting the motor rebuilt at a worse case scenario, but like its been said above, if I don't have to, I wont :)

But the engine will need to also look pretty as the engine bay will be repainted and a complete wiring overhaul too.

Guess if I was to sell my Mazda Atenza, I could take that and the $5k for the engine rebuild and buy the S62.

Do once, do right. With an S62 it's a car you could keep for life and always be excited by! :)

• Like 2