Sign in to follow this  
MISS BM

SuperLap Series - Info?

It's not just about the cage Tom, you HAVE to wear a helmet, without harnesses and using standard belts and seat I would be very concerned about neck injury.

A road car with half cage, or bolt in cage, and a spare seat + belts to put in when needed is a good balance.

I have dailied a race car before with fixed car and seat, and also had the bolt in stuff for a road car. Not everyone's cup of tea, but depends in how much daily driving you do I guess.

Track days I would say are less risky, cars are not fully race oriented and without the competitive element most don't push nearly as hard.

Road cars mixed with track cars is a recipe for disaster - STis and EVOs boosting past on the straight then braking right in front, etc.. Keep apart or avoid.

On a positive note, the mention of the bent sprints is a good one. The Intermarques series at Manfield is great, something similar near Aucks would be a great place to start, learn and develop.

Oh don't get me wrong Jon, I agree wholeheartedly that safety is paramount when you are going at speeds. However I do think there's a difference in terms of the level of danger in a full grid race where every Tom, Dick and Harry wants to win and overtake at every corner, straight or braking point versus a lone guy or gal out on track doing their best at keeping to the perfect race line and braking points.

I think as a minimum, helmets should be mandatory in any track driving, so too cotton overalls - I would even go so far as to mandate neck brace (although there's debate about how effective those are), but not everyone can afford a Hans device let along a helmet that can take one - so the best of two evils again.

I too have done the daily thing in a fully caged car, half caged car ... a car with a full on race seat ... I must be way less hardened than you are because I absolutely hated it haha!!! And to be honest I actually think it's pretty dangerous to be driving a fully caged car on the streets - the visibility out of a bucket seat just isn't right for the public roads.

But hey, great mature discussions so far about this ... and some good ideas being thrown up ... all food for thoughts!

in welly we have intermarque sprints...three timed laps,perhaps 8 cars on the track at any one time,you are "paired' with a car that is about the same speed as you rolling start.Road cars allowed,can do with day license about 5 meets a year.you would get maybe 5 or six runs a day.

If you don't go to a track day in a helmet and overalls you're stupid. Period.

I did horse riding and seeing the accidents for those who 'she'll be right' was devastating.

I can completely understand caged cars are required for grid starts, but if it's just you, the only thing you will do is the same as you would on an open day I reckon.

I understand the desire to track your car in a more controlled environment than some of the public track days, it's so much more fun and safer! The problem with any kind of competitive event, whether your on your own on the track, or with other cars is that you are pushing the car to be fastest. Taking that competitive aspect away does help drivers focus on the driving instead of the speed and will reduce the number of incidents. Inclined to agree with Jon. Full safety equipment for competitive or timed racing, helmet and overalls for non-competitive track. Let's just build enthusiasm for private track days!!

Jamez and I are looking at starting up the twilight stuff again ...

Its easy enough to put a transponder in a car and record the laptimes ... Amber this is one of the main reasons I built the e30 for time attack runs. Lots of us hit the track days, I actually lost enthusiam for the public open days because of numbers clogging the track. It felt like the auckland motorway at some points. The other problem was you would have to wait an hour to get out on the track because they let all of the other traffic out. Made it hard to come in and adjust setup if something wasnt running right. I started showing up aorund 11-12 instead of in the morning just to let the masses get it out of their system.

The semi private twilights are where its at. Its a lot more relaxed atmosphere.

Amber I think first off, go and do a few track days and get bitten by the bug, you will then learn the mechanical limits of your car and the track.. This will push you to do things like getting a second set of wheels and tires for track days only, because 19s on the track are useless (unless youre tom with CSL specific michelens on $$$$$)

And preparing yourself a track day 'go bag'.
After this, everything else on the road seems silly. Getting a bunch of mates alone who have their cars is awesome, some of the best times in cars are with this. Its a bit lonely doing it yourself so doing it with mates makes it soooo much better.
Bank on around $400 each time. Which will include fluids, entry fee, petrol there, around the track and back, lunch and other random stuff.

You can do it for cheaper but in the end thats what youll end up spending when you start to wear things out.

So once you get into it .. Can start talking doing a superlap style thing .. Can put you in touch with Jamez if you want to know more about setting up an event at hamptons and what is required, tips etc.

• Like 4

Play Day On Track seems like a good bunch to work in Track days with - I am in the process of setting on up for Euro Car Club and they are affordable, have all the martial's and what not in place done and dusted so you just pay, drive, go home.

And yes, I completely understand that experience comes with time and dedication. Lots of learning - lots of it. And I need to start somewhere. I just spent a bit doing the Schnitzer up for basic track days, brakes, fluid etc.

M3.. Well lots to do on it before it's ready for any sort of competitive style track days - let along fun days.

The cost is the big thing. I enjoy the fact SuperLap are spaced out with 6 Events from September to May - helps recoup the costs of each event, and you don't have to enter a round if you don't want to. You could maybe do the two rounds at Hampton for the season and that's you done and dusted.

My concern with open days is like I have said before - the other cars. My paranoia about some 1.6L honda 'bumping' me in an attempt to get past is what freaks me out the most, hence my single spaced time around a track learning about it all.

First step is going around the track when it's not raining.. Never had the Luxury of a dry day yet..

Had a friend that did super lap in a Silvia. Said it was the worst event he'd ever run in, entry fee was large, track time was not so much. I think you'll find there's not that many noobs at the track days as long as you stay out of their way - they are easy to spot. The Pukekohe track days are fun and pretty laid back compared to he hd ones.

The more experienced guys in quicker cars will generally find a way around you without hitting you.

Jamez and I are looking at starting up the twilight stuff again ...

Its easy enough to put a transponder in a car and record the laptimes ... Amber this is one of the main reasons I built the e30 for time attack runs. Lots of us hit the track days, I actually lost enthusiam for the public open days because of numbers clogging the track. It felt like the auckland motorway at some points. The other problem was you would have to wait an hour to get out on the track because they let all of the other traffic out. Made it hard to come in and adjust setup if something wasnt running right. I started showing up aorund 11-12 instead of in the morning just to let the masses get it out of their system.

The semi private twilights are where its at. Its a lot more relaxed atmosphere.

Amber I think first off, go and do a few track days and get bitten by the bug, you will then learn the mechanical limits of your car and the track.. This will push you to do things like getting a second set of wheels and tires for track days only, because 19s on the track are useless (unless youre tom with CSL specific michelens on $$$$$)

And preparing yourself a track day 'go bag'.

After this, everything else on the road seems silly. Getting a bunch of mates alone who have their cars is awesome, some of the best times in cars are with this. Its a bit lonely doing it yourself so doing it with mates makes it soooo much better.

Bank on around $400 each time. Which will include fluids, entry fee, petrol there, around the track and back, lunch and other random stuff.

You can do it for cheaper but in the end thats what youll end up spending when you start to wear things out.

So once you get into it .. Can start talking doing a superlap style thing .. Can put you in touch with Jamez if you want to know more about setting up an event at hamptons and what is required, tips etc.

Gotta agree 100%. Also, usually found almost everyone behaves pretty well out there. The starting late morning works well at 'open' open puke type days. All the skidders have busted at least one thing and are going home for the day.

• Like 1

Haha.

Well I'm up to attend to Puke on the 20th in Schnizzer.

Stay tuned. Don't I need like 4wd Suspension around there?

Graham (Apex) said something when I first started that stuck with me and I even do now days. Do the first several laps at no more than 80% .. then look to have a a couple of screaming laps then warm down. This way you can build up to it in both your car and your mind.

About the others, most of the regular track dayers will spot people and not try and late brake or set up if someone looks like theyre new at it. All that will happen is both will end up in a big mess. So Im yet to see anyone whos been bad.

When you first start the scarier moments are look out for are race cars (or people running slicks / big brakes etc) They can outbrake, take proper lines, power past and out corner any car. The best thing you can do is on the straights take quick glances every few seconds in the rear vision mirror and hold your line. Its their problem to get around your car. Even in a corner if theyre sitting up your a*s just hold your line and they will go around. Takes a bit to get use to it if your new to it.

Like wise if you are the fast car, at public days always leave a gap for errors of you and the person your over taking.

When your learning, leave DSC on. While it cuts in on the track a little too much it keeps you safe while you learn your chassis and its limits. Seen quite a few people who turn it off after one outting and end up in the wall powering out of turn 1 or turn 4 of hamptons.

Car wise, make sure your brake fluid is in top condition. Use a great dot4 or 5.1 fluid. For this I use motul as its rated for race temps .. even your road car will get up there in temp. The last thing you want is screaming along down the straigt and you boiled your fluid and created air bubbles in the lines .. hit the pedal and nothing. It _really_ knocks your confidence when it happens ..
Pads, just make sure theyre in good condition. OEM pads are great around the track, cheaper aftermarket pads and discs will warp after time.

Road tires will start to over heat pretty quick and loose grip at higher temps. Cheaper tires will start to have side wall issues. Tire pressures should be around 34-36psi or 38-40+ on low profile tires.

Engine oil and filter should be new or near new.

Cooling system should be checked and in top condition

Other things like trans or gear box fluid should be looked at.

For the next track day, I always change my brake fluids and engine oil gets a really good look. If it smells burnt .. it gets binned.

typing all of this stuff mainly as a FYI for others :D

• Like 2

Thought I might add my 2cents worth to this discussion. I think it is a really good idea to get as much time on the track as you can, doesn't really matter how or where, so long as you remember a few things.

As when driving on the road, always think of the other driver as an idiot and make allowances of space and time.

Enjoy your time on the track, that's why you do it.

Make sure your car is prepared, fluids pads etc.

Make sure you're prepared, helmet, cotton overalls, fire extinguisher, current wof, unless it is a track dedicated car.

Treat your experience on the track as a chance to learn how to drive fast, not how to beat the other car which is coming up from behind, or in front of you.

Don't try to race any other cars, unless you know them, and have talked it through before you go out.

Spend your first couple of sessions getting into it slowly. If you make a mistake then you are more likely to come out of it on the right side.

And the most important thing, get out of your car with a huge grin on your face, having had the time of your life.

• Like 5

Thanks Josh.

For the Schnitzer before the track day in the wet - which to be honest I didn't go fast at all, or even heat up my brakes, I ran Dot4, Hawk HPS and had a full service couple thousand Ks before hand - so was ready to an extent.

M3 is up there next with the same things - Brake Pads, Fluid, Service. I have done the Diff Service, just need general service next. Sorry, should state RAY has done all this haha!

Lots of learning. I have a fantastic friend who races well in the Porsche Cup who has offered to help me out around a track - and sit with me and give me some tips and hints.

• Like 1

Most incidents at a Public track day only involve one car. It is uncommon for someone to hit another car.

And it sounds like Ashkans mate had the same experiance as mine at the Superlap day. Stuff all track time is a real let down at any track day.

I have found that you don't get that much bang for buck at the Playday days either. Can also get crowded.

Running a Bimmersport day is a no go too. No commitment from anyone. You could see if Euro club would have the numbers.

And the last Bimmersport day we had in Taupo someone rolled their E46 on Lap 1.

Edited by driftit
  • Like 1

Also, on the topic of track days, when BMWCC start running their Sprint Days again I'll, most likely, rejoin.

We only have about 15 people interested so far in a track day run by Euro Car Club - all but 2 BMWs.

It's just a small 'if you are interested' thing, and I would have to book out complete sessions with PlayDay.

Hiring out the track is so expensive, needs to be like 6 months in Advance, and I would need to have a 20% deposit ready now... $6785 for One day of Track Hire on a Weekend - yikes.

Don't book with Play day. They make it so much more expensive than it needs to be. For no extra benefit.

Book a cheap track like Puke. See how it runs. Then book Taupo. Hampton is overpriced and IMO is not a very good/fun track. It is my least favored track I race on.

I went to an Airforce/Navy twilight track day a few weeks back at Puke. Was $70. Got more laps than the car could handle.

I can't afford to fork out money for people that say their coming but won't.

Play day have been great, and all the insurance, officials, tow blah blah is sorted.

Unfortunately Im not balling with money and can afford a loss - so I'll leave it up to individuals to pay their way, not me :)

Puke next weekend if anyone wants to join.

• Like 1

Sorry for the bit of a bump but I've only just seen this. I've already spoken to you Amber-Leigh but for everyone else, I'm the series co-ordinator for the NZ Superlap Series so I'll point out a few things.

Does anybody on here compete in the SuperLap Series in the Street Class Division?

Just wanting a basic run down, as not too much information on their website. How is it run/awarded, what were the last years Street Class winners and their times and Cars.. Mods allowed?

It looks like a simply fun way to get into Motorsport, esp if you have only a street type car.

Any information about this would be fantastically appreciated!

NZ Superlap Series has classes for everyone, ranging from Street (limited mods/road cars), to Pro Street (highly modified road cars) and Pro Open (unlimited mods/no wof or reg needed/but needs a cage). It doesn't matter what class you're in, you'll be grouped with cars running similar times to you so you shouldn't catch up to anyone or have anyone catch up to you. In those groups, you'll be stagged out onto the track with usually around 5 second gap with the fastest cars out first. This means you wont have the risk of anyone crashing into you as it's not door to door racing.

At the end of the weekend, fastest 3 times in each class get awards. While some to take it very seriously, most are just out there to have some fun and to beat your own laptimes.

We've had cars ranging from standard daily drivers (I even race my fairly standard E30 in street class when I have time).

We also have a practise session first which is great to learn some lines as you'll be following fastest cars around.

Had a friend that did super lap in a Silvia. Said it was the worst event he'd ever run in, entry fee was large, track time was not so much.

Not sure if it was the same series. Only silvia I've had is a regular. Our series is one of the cheapest motorsport series in the country. We run along side the Rotary Class, Honda Cup, Formula Libre and Superkarts and our entry fees are less than half what theirs are, while running more track time then they do.

Next round for us is on the 1st March at Taupo. For more information on the series, get in contact with me, or check out our facebook page. www.facebook.com/nzsuperlap