Sign in to follow this  
Benoire

335i wagon with kids

Hi,

I have another question regarding 335i's. Having test driven one locally to me, I have found that the sedan does not have enough boot space for my child's stuff, such as the buggy. I tried the buggy in a wagon and it fitted but there was less room than I was hoping for.

Does anyone here use a 335i wagon with a Mountain Buggy Swift or similar compact buggy and also to carry said child's stuff around? How practical do you find it and is it a pain? If I can't fit a buggy in and be useable then a 335i is not going to work and I might have to go to a 5 series for the practicality purposes, which would be disappointing.

Any thoughts on this matter would be great!

To be perfectly honest, the 3-series Touring boot space isn't great. Good enough for us (and I've even carried a 2400x800mm table in ours!) but I can see how one or two more bulky items could quickly take up most of the useful space.

I've toyed with the idea of a 5-series on several occasions, but just can't justify changing at the moment.

My prams go in the E46 Coupe. Along with Junk loads of cleaning gear and pointless crap I tend to have.

No idea how a wagon would be worse off...

And there is bikes, prams, buckets, boxes.. The list goes on.

May 5 series is more suited. Or try a coupe. Works for me.

we never bothered with all those flash buggy's with the 3 kids ,

they grow out of them soon enough

just use a regular 4 wheel folding job for young babies .

something like this

http://www.trademe.co.nz/baby-gear/prams-strollers/four-wheel-strollers/auction-816549147.htm

then one of those small ones that fold up to about an umbrella size for when they are a bit older

like this

http://www.trademe.co.nz/baby-gear/prams-strollers/four-wheel-strollers/auction-819143165.htm

that's my 2 cents anyway

but yes 3 series touring boots are not very big

Iv been here to, TBH just buy a more compact size pram. When we had our first baby we went all out and bought this hugh MF of a pram, second kid five years later and we got a more compact size and have zero regrets. What's good about wagons is if you have to carry larger oddly sized objects you get a generous loading area with the big tail gate opening.

I have a E46 touring and fit a Phil and teds buggy in it without too much trouble. I need to fold the handle up for extra clearance in length. It costumes about half which leaves the other half for shopping etc. Not a newer 335 sorry but useful info i hope

Cheers People, very helpful.

My son is at the point where we use his smaller stroller but I was trying to establish the case if there are two children and how a buggy / basinet may fit in as well. Still leaning towards a 335i at the moment!

• Like 1

I did something similar & regretted it. I had an E46 coupe & found it was a pain in the ass putting the car seat in & out of it - so I bought an E90 4 door. What I should have done was just get another car seat to fit permanently in the coupe which would have saved me $10k for the cost of a $500 seat....

Moral of the story is to think hard about the options & the length of time you will need the bulky baby stuff.

You'll also get good a packing up the area regardless of car.

You'll be amazed at the amount of stuff that will fit in a e36. On the annual holiday I manage to get s baby jogger, Porta cot, toys, baby bags, 7 pair of shoes ( I impose a shoe limit on the wife) three adults bags, the wife, mother and daughter and a couple of fishing rods. I reckon I could get an additional two packs of cards in the boot if needed.

Bigger the storage srea, the more stuff you'll cart around.

Wifey ditched the Mountain buggy for a Kelty (?) unit for the reason it just took up so much room. Boot space shrank going from the B5 Passat to the 530i.

If your Mrs has given approval for a 335i as a family wagon, get the car then worry about making stuff fit :D

Boot space is fine we had a mountain buggy and 335i touring.

Biggest issue we had was it didn't fit out isofix recaro seats very well as the rear seats are quite high. I wanted a rear facing 8-18kg isofix recaro and it basically hit the roof. The forward facing was liveable but tight to squeeze the little one in.

All in all a decent sized wagon in my mind.

5 series are huge, we could basically fit out Mountain buggy in length ways.