Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

Possible 4.6is X5 purchase

I've found this http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-829794321.htm

However, she's a pretty noisy engine, view here :

Is it worth it and what possible issues are causing this and or cost to repair?

He advises that it's only doing it on startup when cold and sometimes when under load. Lastly, is this young jack's old car, a member here?

Edited by The Diesel Guy

Vanos solenoids, budget at least a couple of grand unless you do it all yourself. Nice wagon though.

Vanos solenoids, budget at least a couple of grand unless you do it all yourself. Nice wagon though.

Definetley that you rekon, spoke to again after I posted this lastnight and he said it was the lifters. He said it does it when you start it and when you give it gas at low rev's

Yeah looks in fairly good nick. I've had a 4.6is in the past and apart from the collosal fuel consumption, they go hard and corner amazingly.

It's the last of the first generation without X-drive , basic interior and sun roof. probably needs motor and gearbox work and it sucks fuel like there is no tomorrow.

There was a similar model diesel going for $10 grand recently

We just clocked up 3200km around the south island and paid around $350 in diesel - add in the RUC and its is up to $550 .

My pick is the same trip in a V8 would be around $1400 - $1600 in fuel - for that I would fly/ rent.

All X5's corner well if set up

As you know, I've had 4x BMW X5's before (1x 4.6is 1x 4.4 2x 3.0d both facelifts) and out of the box nothing corners as well as the the 4.6is He's spent 10k on all the common issues on the car already. I've not owned the first generation 2926cc 3.0d but I've heard they are nowhere near as good as the facelift 3.0d so I wouldn't consider a first generation 3.0d - must have been a pile for 10k at any rate?

I'd guestimate about $20 per hundred kms open road (current fuel prices) so I dont think the 4.6is would use quite that much on the same trip. At any rate, the 4.6is is coined to be a weekend car, definetley not a daily.

I'd guestimate about $20 per hundred kms open road (current fuel prices) so I dont think the 4.6is would use quite that much on the same trip. At any rate, the 4.6is is coined to be a weekend car, definetley not a daily.

No turbo destruction risk either :ph34r:

Start-up noise:

it wouldnt hurt to check the O-ring on the oil filter cap. if this is not replaced or aftermarket nasties are used they will leak air into the system when left for periods of time. ie overnight, this allows the whole system to drian of oil and of course it takes a few seconds for the vanos and lifters etc to fill, and it sounds terrible!

Ive seen a few m60/m62 now with this problem - and some which have had the valve guides and vanos units replace only to have the same noises... when it was just an o-ring.

its cheap and easy to try anyway...

if you are in a quite enviroment, you can actaully hear the air "hissing" in at the oil filter cap after you turn the engine off... -( and no they dont always leak oil out, but still leak air in)

anyway its a cool wagon for the right price, but expect it to cost you a bit to keep it going... Id be cautious of the transmission also with that millage if it hasnt been serviced well... I'd be trying to knock 2-3k off that price for a starter, and keep it aside for maintenance..

Thanks Dean, I'll get him to try that.

EDIT: He's going to try this, possibility it is an issue with the oil cap as he's just advised me that it has a crack in it.

Edited by The Diesel Guy

Not to be picky Ron but I do know my X5's. The pre facelift E53's are 135kw and 410nm torque curves are different, but also, another reason the facelift ones went better than the older 3.0d was because of the 6 speed gearbox. Also, the prefacelift 4.6is came with factory 20" wheels and 315's on the rear as standard and sport suspension settings as standard, self leveling suspension as standard, I'm pretty sure all that was optional across the rest of the range. My old 4.6is would do 10/100km on the open road as mentioned above - and as I said above (current fuel prices) fuel here for premium is under $2 bucks a litre.

I also had two E53 facelift 3.0d and both were remapped, I'm well aware of their performance. But what you're suggesting is that a remapped facelift 3.0d will be quicker than a 4.6is??? A factory facelift 3.0d 0-100 claimed is 8.6 seconds with a top speed of 210kph. Factory 4.6is is 6.5 seconds with a top speed of 240kph, even remapping it adding another 100 or so newton meters isn't going to close that gap by more than two seconds.

As I said, I'm just looking for a weekend toy. I'm not spending 25k on a 3.0d facelifted one - the 135kw one is not an option. The aero kit/sound/wheels on the X5 above is perfect for a weekend toy. There isn't a lot around for the money that would touch the looks and sound and performance of this X5.

• Like 1

Two kids and another one in the way scratches the M3 unfortunatley. The 4.6is will spend most of its time on the open road. Price asking is 16k but will not be offering this, nor anywhere near it lol. Absolutely with you about the diesels hence my bimmersport name but just not prepared to spend the extra 10k plus to get a good one when it will sit in the garage 90% of my vehicle usage.

Worn timing chain guides will make the same sound and give the same symptoms. So make sure you get it checked out man

Just buy jarreds four door e36 m3, perfect family car!

Worn timing chain guides will make the same sound and give the same symptoms. So make sure you get it checked out man

Guides have been done recently. Owner just chucked 10k at resolving common issues.

Just buy jarreds four door e36 m3, perfect family car!

Nah, it wouldn't agree with the gravel roads and river crossings at our other house and besides, they're too small for us as a whanau :(

Edited by The Diesel Guy

Yep, M3 would struggle on the Rainbow road and other places.

X5 makes sense for a family of 5 travelling and getting into the back country if that's your definition of a weekend toy. That's what we use ours for as well.

plus school bus and family car.

19's with HP road tyres were at times interesting on the rainbow road

20's on the 4.6is with flintstones tyres on the back. Good gravel road but an M3 would just get nailed. Also need the space of a big boot the X5 offers.