Sign in to follow this  
eliongater

e34 525ix Touring!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-831407190.htm

There's supposed to be not many of these...

But there has been some discussion about these on the forum before

and there is a also one that was mentioned in an older thread that I think lives near me, with the plate 525ixt

Shame its an auto. See a red manual ix touring around welly a lot, pretty cool in a geeky anorak way.

I was thinking it's a shame it was a water loss issue.

bit like how 3pedals is known on most occasions to be a negative nancy.

Nobody likes a negative nancy. That's why there's only one of him.

• Like 2

subjective bullshit...????.not everyone wants the latest greatest whizz bang motor.I loved my e34 535is .I would have another as a toy.And even if it cost 1600 in gas to tour the south island i would do it in a heartbeat.Would i do the same trip by plane and rental...no.

• Like 1

Sounds like it is little different to any other 80s/90s 4wd system fitted to a car. (FF in the Jensen, excepted, of course...)

Newer systems are better in many respects, except possibly one - modern systems are far more complicated and all-but unrepairable at home. That impression trickles down to the older systems, leading to them being deemed uneconomic to repair.

That said, I know nothing of the BMW iX system. I've had 80s/90s Audi Quattros, and they really aren't complicated. Outside the knowledge of most DIY people, but often not outside their ability.

Just the facts, old technology 4WD system also used on the E30 3 series also known to be a dog.

Not negative - just don't do nostalgia and subjective bullshit.

Can't you just appreciate it for what it is? The thing is 25 years old so will have some limitations due to modern technology being able to improve on it. But if you drive it within those limitations, you can still enjoy and have fun with it.

• Like 1

I used to own one, very capable car, handled with confidence, better than a 2WD E34 as far as thats concerned

Parts are hard to find for anything directly related to the 4x4 system though, read front suspension, diff, engine sump, transfer box, axles etc. At least the rear end is all the same as 2WD E34 if i remember rightly

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_