Sign in to follow this  
dkonsta1

E38 2001 Singapore import top condition genuine low KM (95K)

Opinions about a nice 728i e38 late 2001 model available for sale?

I am not in a rush to buy but the price is good and the car is mint inside out mechanically etc...

My only concerns:

Small engine for the big chassis and

thd big wheels 18" (factory original)

Maybe it will drive a bit rough.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

The 728i isn't as slow as most think, because it's geared lower to compensate. They are surprisingly cheap to run too. It's not like you're going to be driving it at high speed on an autobahn, so the acceleration is OK for most NZ conditions.

Of course after a V8, it will be dissapointing.

Basically with an E38, you either get the 728i, or a 740i (or 750i, if you're into that!). The 730i (V8) is slower and hungrier, and the 735i (V8) is as hungry as the 740i, slower and has the same maintainance costs. The late M52TU 2.8 (as a 2001 will be) is a lot better than the earlier E38 728i with the M52.

Re wheels. I had the same concern about fitting 18's to the E39. I figured that as the M5 came factory fitted that they should be ok. This proved the case, a little more harsh than the original 15's but not overly.

I have feedback I trust that up to 20s are fine ride-wise in an E38. Wouldn't go over 18 on an E39 though.

I have an e38 2001 with the 2.8 and it has been great. Had for over 8 years and can't bring myself to sell it. Get one with edc suspension and they handle pretty well for a big car. It will lift its skirts and go quite quick when you want it to. Superb cruiser - just find one that has lots of maintenance history.

It also has 18 inch wheels and the ride is plush.......make sure it has the right profile tyres - 50 from memory

Edited by NUSTAD

factory size for E38 18inch wheels are 235/50 at the front 255/45 for the rears .18s are fine on the E38 any bigger it does start to get a little rough [not much]. Just bought a E38 for $2800,728i, 2000, with just 107,000 km on it . They are getting real cheap now :ph34r:

Edited by KillerX

Anyone know the reason why they never fitted the same 3L M54 which went into the E39 into the 728i? Seems weird you'd keep using the superseded engine.

Check for the "Tamper" dot on the dash. It is a dead giveaway that the car has done more mileage than stated. Quite common when from Singapore/HK.

My brother owned a low km's 2000 728i. Everything that could go wrong with it did. It was an electrical nightmare.

I think BMW gave up on the E38 completely at the same time as they upgraded the E39 to the 3 litre 6 cylinder.