Sign in to follow this  
benpaul12

Rate your favourite 3 series

Favourite 3 series  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Let's battle out what your favourite 3 series is, mechanical, modification friendly, looks, nostalgia etc.

120302.jpg

I'll kick it off with mine in order, leaving the e21 out as I don't know enough about it:

5. E90 - despite how many angles are in the design I find it too conservative. A good looking car but there's something I find a bit dull about them. The saving grace for me would be 335i and the coupes, the coupes are especially good-looking, varied and far smoother to look at.

3. E36 - I remember in the mid-90s when I was only a kid and seeing bright red e36's and thinking that they were an awesome looking machine. Have had a bit of love-hate with them because so many haven't been looked after. Also, when I worked at the traffic control centre we saw so many of them break down!!

4. F30 - love the wagons, didn't like them when they first came out but have really warmed to how aggressive the front end is. The bi-turbo I4s is a great roll of the dice on dropping the I6s. The 4 series (which is just a coupe 3 series) is out of this world.

2. E30 - a classic that still looks amazing. Great to drive, beautiful to look at. Timeless.

1. E46 - I've owned two of them and still believe that they are a beautiful looking car, inside and out. The I6s are awesome, the M-spec versions handle incredibly well and they're lighter than the new offerings. The 330ci coupes and convertibles around still look like an expensive, premium vehicle and have held their value. I believe that the e46 M3 is the best M3.

While they all have their pros and cons, for me the E36 and E90, particularly the non motorsport variations will be forgotten. Just bland boxes with a badge.

The E46 and E30 are probably the best pair to date. Both have aged well and have a huge following, rightly so.

The F30 is striking to be hold. Time will tell how it ages and what kinda following they get as the prices drop.

I'd have an E46 coupe or touring with a V8, manual S62 or with a Lexus Engine 4.3-5L type.

• Like 1

I probably don't need to mention which one is my favourite ;)

E30. Its the best. It just is. Not just for what it is, but what it was when new.. and that is how I judge cars.

E46 second for me, the E46 was the last model that held up to being more premium than the competition, it was also the end of an era where cars were allowed to have a thirsty inefficient engine, heavy controls, less safety dictating styling, less practicality dictating styling, etc... IMHO anything newer is just a overpriced Hyundai *..

*with the exception of proper M cars, they will always be a bit special, but this is a platform ranking.

• Like 1

E30 F30 and E90(Motorsport or M3 only) are my votes.

E36 and E46 are Europes Corolla. Just too many of them around. Good runarounds though.

• Like 1

I know it's not a 3 series technically, but what about the 02?

I know it's not a 3 series technically, but what about the 02?

Maybe start another one poll? Non continuous series BMWs? 6ers, 8ers, 2002 etc. ;)

E30, only 3 series I've had anything much to do with (though getting accustomed to the E46).

Probably my age, but the E30 in various race guises in the Wellington Nissan Mobil 500 and other memorable motorsport battles gives it a special place in my history.