Sign in to follow this  
dimsim

E46 Rear Wheel Bearing

hi guys - apologies of this has been asked before but my searches turned up nothing regarding this.

need to replace the rear wheel bearing on my e46 328i sedan. from my time at bmw this was a fairly simple job with the special tool and I've found a tool on ebay what looks like it will do the job.

does anyone know if there's a tool i can get locally? guess ill also need a large socket and inverse torx socket for the driveshaft too - does anyone know the sizes off the top of your head for these please.

will i also need a three legged puller to oull the inner race off? or is there something better to do the job with?

finally - would i simply be better to get someone to do this that has the tools and if so does anyone know of a suitable person in Hawkes Bay.

just book the car in , can be a pig of a job if the bearing is stuck , (welded itself in)

may require new arm etc

I did this myself to my car using a shop press and the correct jigs for pressing. Was indeed a sh*t job but so worth it.

I designed and had our tool set made up using a 2 stage 20 ton hydraulic ram to allow us to do it on the car. Makes the job so easy and the tool never breaks or causes any damage. It will do all axle and hubs on BMW's including X5. Will also do Audi & Merc

Edited by B.M.W Ltd

Hi Chris, If you are good with tools and wish to take this on in your own garage go for it . But make sure you have the correct tools and plenty of patience I have only done the one myself at home and it was a bitch of a thing. Talk to your local mechanic about it and what it would cost you for them to do it then decide if you want the peace of mind as it is done or gain the experience and what ever goes with it to get it done at home. If I had another one go I would cough up the coin and get the professionals to do it just my opinion.

Tis a small world Chris..... thanx for the call. Bring it up, but give me a call first.

Tis a small world Chris..... thanx for the call. Bring it up, but give me a call first.

Thanks Glenn, will do & good to chat too. Glad to see another great operator in these forums.