Sign in to follow this  
camera doctor

E39 Touring Hatch falling

My 2002 E39 530i Touring has an issue where the rear hatch ( main hatch, not just the glass ) will not stay up, and it falls onto your head or back when loading !

As there are no gas struts like Jap cars, I assume there are springs in the hinges or similar ?

Has anybody fixed this ? Is it a major job ? What new parts do I need ? - I assume any used parts would be not worth the work, they'd be 1/2 worn out ?

Or, is there an adjustment ??

Thanks

• Like 1

I didn't have springs in mine when I removed, but I used the below as a reference to help...

http://bmw.iamgary.com/category/e39-touring/

You may want to speak to Ray@HellBM, he might have some newish ones in stock, if not, you will probably need to look at Pelican or ECS Tuning off shore

They have gas struts with springs in the roof. What's your 7 digit chassis number ?

Edited by B.M.W Ltd
  • Like 1

Sorry to high-jack the thread, but Glenn, do you have any rear shocks for the E39 tourings with SLS?

Sorry...no. We don't sell parts. I could get them for you though

I did mine a few years ago, the struts arent cheap, but its not a major job, from memory i just used a small lever bar to pop the old ones off the mounts, pulled them out and put new ones in. The hardest part is holding the hatch up while you do it, you wont believe how heavy that thing is, you will need something to prop it up with!

Ordered a set of these, arrived today - WOW fast ex Denmark !

Now to fit.

Thanks to all whom replied.

From memory I think I used something to wedge the cup against the roof inside the pocket they sit in and then wound the ball into the cup.

Good luck!

there's something similar in the Volvo 855 - a very high-pressure cartridge, Stabilus, I think. I first bought some cheap aftermarket replacements from the US. They failed within 6 months. My keeping the old ones was vindicated. I was able to have them repaired by the NZ agents.

You may have some luck as follows (my rebuilt units are still working 6 years later - recommended!):

Gas Strut Services http://www.gasstrutservices.co.nz/

In my case the lower north island agent was out of Palmy or Levin, I think. Came in a van, workshop in back. I seem to recall mine needed to be sent to Auckland for a rebuild.

Worth a crack mate, hope that helps. Summary: Steer clear of anything other than OEM or Original parts if you're replacing; or try Gas Strut Services (or similar) for a rebuild.

cheers