Sign in to follow this  
JaseNZ

Driving on the wrong side of the road.

^^^yup, this. Funny how many people get the power pole bang in the middle of the bonnet! Look away and steer the bloody car.

You learn pretty quick on a bike, look where you want to go. Half way through a overcooked corner and if you're looking at the side of the road thinking you're running out of room and not looking through the corner you'll be skidding along on your ass.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

• Like 2

...prosecution for 'driving without due care and attention', or similar.

the problem with this theory is that what you are trying to prosecute is subjective. What you and I may consider to be "due care and attention" may be different to Tony Macaroni, and different again to Scott Dixon.

Rather than punishing the problem, fix the problem in the first place - I really do believe the Learners / Restricted / Full testing should be longer + harder.

I sat my restricted in a TS50 - the tester tried his hardest to fail me because the "engine is too big for a 16 yr old girl" whatever - if you can drive you can drive.

the problem with this theory is that what you are trying to prosecute is subjective. What you and I may consider to be "due care and attention" may be different to Tony Macaroni, and different again to Scott Dixon.

Rather than punishing the problem, fix the problem in the first place - I really do believe the Learners / Restricted / Full testing should be longer + harder.

I sat my restricted in a TS50 - the tester tried his hardest to fail me because the "engine is too big for a 16 yr old girl" whatever - if you can drive you can drive.

If you're crossing the centreline without overtaking or turning, it's an easy one ;)

I agree the licensing system should be harder! There should be a certain % of the population who aren't capable of passing the tests, and the testing standards should be altered to reflect that (continuously). I think 75% would be a good number :lol:

a friend who came back for a holiday made this mistake when he was driving me around. He started off in the right lane but when he made a right hand turn he ended up on the right hand side of the lane instead of the left. He realised straightaway but I can see how this kind of mistake can happen after living in a country that drives on the other side for a few years.

I lived and drove in LHD countries for three years, with only a month in an RHD country in that time. I *never* drove on the left in a left hand drive country, and *never* drove on the right on return to Australasia. The only challenge I had was in car-parks; for the first year, I naturally turned to the left to avoid cars heading toward me.

furthermore, when I lived in UK and drove in France, Spain, or back in the USA, I had no issues driving on the correct side of the road, no matter if I was driving a RHD or LHD vehicle. One simply needs to *think*.

I think it's simply brain laziness - or being accustomed to not being switched on when driving (eg disengaging 50% of concentration behind the wheel), as the significant contributing factor to driving on wrong side of road.

Edited by Olaf
  • Like 1