Sign in to follow this  
qube

Engine oil Valveline 5w-40 for BMW AND VW?

I need to do an oil change for both my cars and was hoping to buy the same type since each car takes around 6-7L so I can buy 3 bottles and have a bit left over for top ups.

looking at the Valveline SYNPower 5w-40 and it meets BMW LL01 as well as VW 502.00

I do have a 5L bottle of the castrol edge 5w-30 at home and was planning to use it for the bmw but i dont think i can use this for the VW. does anyone know?

I have searched google but not much info that relates to us in NZ as most people cry about temperature fluctuations in the states etc.

At supercheapauto its $79 for a 5L bottle of the valveline stuff... so its gonna cost me like $240 + filters. jeeez.. thats quite a lot.

I wouldn't worry too much about temperature range. 5W oil can cope -20 degree C quite comfortably.

If it's just general use, as long as it meets API SM spec, you should be ok. If diesel and has DPF, you need low ash oil which would then be BMW LL04 or VW 507

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think ill just grab the castrol edge 5w30 for both cars

ive used synpower in my past few cars, including all my BMWS (M50, M52 and S50 engines) with great success. Reduced oil use, and made the engines quieter. In the case of the M3 it was also effective in cleaning some of the varnish under the valve cover.

I was really considering those the chief chicksaw or whatever it is. it was abuot $55 for a 5L bottle. woud have got 3 bottles for the price of two castrols or valvelines but decided not to be too cheap haha. they were Bmw LL01 approved and VW 502.00.

I do want to try the valveline 5w-40 at some stage. maybe on my next oil change.

Guest MP0wer

You need a little over 7L.

I use the Chief 10W 40, its is pretty good. Do it once a year, Dont forget to grab a new filter too :)

Penrite hpr5 nuff said

• Like 1

Guest MP0wer

Penrite hpr5 nuff said

I used Penrite on one of my cars a few years back and the car crashed, that stuff is nothing but bad luck. Never again.

:D

• Like 3

I used Penrite on one of my cars a few years back and the car crashed, that stuff is nothing but bad luck. Never again.

:D

We create our own luck :P perhaps it was the driver? Hahah

I used to use Castrol Edge 0w40 in my M54 e46 325i for the last 3 changes (I'm doing 10k km intervals with fresh filter). It has about 145k kms on it.

2 weeks ago I changed to Penrite HPR5, after excellent experiences in my Volvo 855-T5 with HPR10 (10w50).

I scored a couple of HPR5 5w40 full synthetic 5 litre - on sale at Rip Every Poor C%nt Off for a price that makes a mockery of their nickname, half that of the usual Edge 0w40 price - and promptly changed oil filter, air filter and oil.

Car is happier, (smoother at startup and during the warmup) be interesting to see if it uses less oil as occured when changing to Penrite did in my Volvo. My wallet is also happier.

It's BMW LL-01 & VW 502.00/505.00 compliant - though this matters little to me as I'm running 10k interval as mentioned.

Very happy with the performance of Penrite full synthetics, and happy with the pricing. Buy on sale, profit. FWIW I used Castrol synthetic 0w40 for years in my Volvo, Castrol Synthetic 0w40 and then 5w30 in my old Maxima, and Magnatec for a few changes in my Volvo.

HTH