Sign in to follow this  
podrae

best tool for "check engine" light

Hi Guys

So ive recently purchased a pristine 2003 318i with 130k for a price i couldn't refuse. Its my first beemer and Im really happy with the amazing comfort when driving.

I have to admit i was worried about the huge amount of electrics it seems to contain and what things may go wrong with the abundance of sensors.

Well Ive owned it a week and "wadda ya know".....engine check light is on. Everything appears fine and this came on after the first decent run id given it (about 30k) Im reluctant to take it into a shop for a check straight away seeing this costs and I have a feeling it may be a semi regular occurrence. I would like to buy a obd2 reader with the "extra" BMW codes so I can get an idea on what may be the issue.

Can anyone recommend one that has worked for them that I could obtain from somewhere local?

Im not sure if I should be getting a standalone reader or just a cable with some special bmw software on a laptop or what at the moment...

Hi Guys

So ive recently purchased a pristine 2003 318i with 130k for a price i couldn't refuse. Its my first beemer and Im really happy with the amazing comfort when driving.

I have to admit i was worried about the huge amount of electrics it seems to contain and what things may go wrong with the abundance of sensors.

Well Ive owned it a week and "wadda ya know".....engine check light is on. Everything appears fine and this came on after the first decent run id given it (about 30k) Im reluctant to take it into a shop for a check straight away seeing this costs and I have a feeling it may be a semi regular occurrence. I would like to buy a obd2 reader with the "extra" BMW codes so I can get an idea on what may be the issue.

Can anyone recommend one that has worked for them that I could obtain from somewhere local?

Im not sure if I should be getting a standalone reader or just a cable with some special bmw software on a laptop or what at the moment...

Just buy a wifi OBD2 dongle such as http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/kiwi-3-obd-smartphone-watch-and-tablet-car-diagnostic-tool-24-06-2015/

If you have android cheapest would be OBD bluetooth reader and the free torque app. OBD reader is about $10 on ebay.

You either want an "INPA" setup, or "BMW Scanner".

Generic stuff is crap for finding what the codes really mean, a lot of the time.

I've got a "proper" BMW scanner that I have no need for if you're interested.

You just need to make sure your car is supported by looking at this table.

Have a look around their site, it's a proper BMW scanner with "shadow code" support.

I'm offering the "Enthusist" version with 2 VIN slots still available. You need a Windows computer to use the software.

Send me a PM if you're interested in a good deal.

Best tool is probably your phone to punch in Glenns number

• Like 3

Best tool is probably your phone to punch in Glenns number

But it's a 2003... isn't that N42?

We know what Glenn will say (rightly so too!)

OP:

If you really want your own tool, x-car360.com has BMW Scanner (a chinese ripoff anyway) cheap, I used them several times for various things.

For INPA, google Cable Shack.

I've not seen anywhere local (commercially) that I'd bother buying from, unless you want to get a used item, like M3AN.

You either need to spend decent moeny for something good, or buy a chinese ripoff.

Also - don't do the thing people who think they know stuff do: If it has a code, it does NOT mean the item mentioned in the code is faulty, it's just telling you that that item sent an unusual signal, which may be caused be something entirely different (eg, Lambda probe code caused by vacuum leak after the MAF, etc). You still need a brain to diganose, the car only tells you what it sees as a symptom.

Edited by Allanw

A bit like a treasure map..... X only marks the spot to look, or dig deeper

• Like 2

But it's a 2003... isn't that N42?

They used the M43 motor as well

If it is a N42 I'd be buying a large drip tray, extra oil and coolant with the scan tool

• Like 2