Sign in to follow this  
M5V8

FS: 2011 X5 performance edition

Time for another M something. ;)

Yeah. The X5 is .... too good. At everything. It's boring.

It's the weight plus grip. it's incredible. bucketing down I'm doing twice the speed of any other car on the road with no problems.

I think it's the perfect car for when I'm 60.

• Like 3

bucketing down I'm doing twice the speed of any other car on the road with no problems.

I think it's the perfect car for when I'm 60.

So back to the same speed as everyone else then

• Like 1

The point was in torrential rain I'm still doing 100, when all the other traffic drops to half that.

I get not every car is capable of maintaining speed in heavy rain. Personally I think there should be stricter laws around what types of tyres are allowed.

More part of a wider problem.

I know the little compact car that's holding up traffic is going as fast as it can safely. But should micro city cars with terrible quality tyres be allowed on NZ's open road?

surely there should be a minimum standard.

its not just a case of cheap cars being on the road with average tyres but a much much bigger picture.

to keep it as simple as possible, consider this:

it costs me $5 one way from my house to the city and $5 back home. luckily for me the train only takes about 20 minutes but if i were to take the bus, it would be a 50 minute trip one way.

so thats $10 a day, and for 5 days a week its $50 just for public transport. I could easily cover the same distance with $30 of petrol. of course parking costs are insane which leads people to use the public transport system but if i was having to commute say to somewhere with free parking (company provided carpark or else) then there is absolutely no reason to use the public transport. I could easily buy a pos $1000 car and drive it daily with $30 petrol. it works out cheaper than taking the bus.

its way too easy to buy a car and for cheap, people who really shouldnt be owning cars can, and because they already stretched their financial situation for the car, its no wonder they dont have or dont care about good tyres (or even basic servicing for that matter)

i highly doubt that there will be any significant law change that actually rectify this kind of situation.. unless they ban all cars over 10 years old or something crazy like that

• Like 1

this is a fair accessment. Kyu. But I'm sure you are probably safe to drive a $1000 car into town.

If the country is serious about getting the road toll down then there needs to be some realisation that it's not just speed and booze.

I mean they can throw up all the Police checks they like (I have no problem with them) but yesterday I followed a procession of 5 cars following a complete POS at 20km/r down a main road. It had 1 reverse light on and either no indicators or he didn't use them as he weaved left and right moving between 5-20kph before he crashed into a curb. Seriously. How is he competent to drive. He couldn't drive down a suburban street. No wonder the car looked like it had been in a demo derby.

Imagine him on the open road in that?

Let alone past a school at lunchtime which he was.

it seems to me the most incompetent drivers also drive vehicles not fit for the purpose they are using them for.

Police need to target that 1%.

hahah........a bit off subject. Maybe I should move this to the rant section.

I'm going to make a great grumpy old man I reckon.

Edited by M5V8
  • Like 1

GLWS

Is the next M car going to have sufficient ground clearance? ;)

cheers.

it has to, so, anything on the menu will need to pass the driveway 'test' first.

that would be worse! Just faster with a waay bigger thirst.

Narr.... Need to move this along first then I'll start seriously looking.

• Like 1

GLWS. Just drove our one of these down to Tauranga in the weekend. Like you say, the grip is insane, and it is a great car but only problem was a tad underpowered for my taste on overtaking..

Nice one on the panoramic sunroof, wish we had that!

• Like 1

the ml350 is staying then?

Yes wife loves it. The engine light issue is fixed and it runs great now.

GLWS. Just drove our one of these down to Tauranga in the weekend. Like you say, the grip is insane, and it is a great car but only problem was a tad underpowered for my taste on overtaking..

Nice one on the panoramic sunroof, wish we had that!

I guess if you are used to a V8M3 that's probably a fair comment. But it's quick enough for most situations I find.

....And I get 1000km out of the tank.

yeah the sunroof was the reason I bought it. It's pretty awesome in summer for sure!

Edited by M5V8