Sign in to follow this  
LemonHunter

2001 E39 540i Motorsport Auto Transmission thump.

I've done a quick search and can't seem to find this dealt with, but i could be searching shitty terms or just not delving far enough back... anywho.

Few nights ago i felt a distinct thump as it shifted in to 5th, never repeated untill this morning it did the same thing as it shifted to 2nd. Wasn't thrashing it either of these times.

Related maybe is that somtimes just as you get to your chosen cruising speed the revs go up and down a few times like I've seen in cars with a clutch about to die.

On a related note, anyone recommend a workshop in chch to do a manual conversion? If this box is about to lunch it self it rather do some preventative maintenance/upgrades, i was getting ready to sell and buy a manual e39 or e34 540, but i don't want to sell if the box is on the way out, so may as well just turn this thing in to the car i want... better the devil you know eh?

• Like 1

Creepers are on special at Supercheap auto.

This seems like a transmission jack might be needed also.

At a guess it sounds like your torque convertor is about to lunch itself.

Good luck with the manual conversion, I hope the depth of your pockets matches the height of your ambitions! :) Kayne Barrie in Auckland might have the gearbox you need, otherwise you gotta go trawling Fleabay. I see yours is listed as a 2001, M62B44TU? Probably wise to do the timing chain guides preventative maintenance at the same time as your conversion. Or weigh up the costs of both jobs at once, sell your car for parts and just get an M5. It'll probably be close to cost parity!

• Like 1

It must be Dead Slushbox month. Your symptoms are somewhat similar to mine (http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/53826-e39-trans-failsafe/ ) . And your ambitions are also very similar to mine! But too bad I cant do a 6spd like you can on the 540 :ph34r:

At a guess it sounds like your torque convertor is about to lunch itself.

Good luck with the manual conversion, I hope the depth of your pockets matches the height of your ambitions! :) Kayne Barrie in Auckland might have the gearbox you need, otherwise you gotta go trawling Fleabay. I see yours is listed as a 2001, M62B44TU? Probably wise to do the timing chain guides preventative maintenance at the same time as your conversion. Or weigh up the costs of both jobs at once, sell your car for parts and just get an M5. It'll probably be close to cost parity!

I sort of figured about 6 to 7k for a manual conversion?

I think I could probably sell this one for 7.5 to 8k, and Manual E39 540's go for around 14 to 15k, M5's of course, if you can find them run from 27K +, so unless my cost estimate is miles out, it is financially viable to convert rather than trade up. That said if anyone has an E39 M5 for 20K, call me.

And yeah, if the engine has to come out to swap the box I'd do the guides, otherwise I might wait another 30,000km, it only has 190,000km on the clock, and I love russian roulette.

I might stop beasting it around the port hills though till I find out whats up with the box, any useful tests to determine if the Torque converter is on the way out? Would a transmission flush buy me some time?

You're on the money price wise for the conversion, worth doing if you are keeping the car for a bit, pretty sure ths engine can stay in for the conversion, make sure whoever does it is up to speed with the coding or you will have issues. Good luck.

• Like 1

You're on the money price wise for the conversion, worth doing if you are keeping the car for a bit, pretty sure ths engine can stay in for the conversion, make sure whoever does it is up to speed with the coding or you will have issues. Good luck.

Use the OEM type dual-mass flywheel and OEM type clutch too. right?