Sign in to follow this  
Arma

e39 Trans Failsafe

Hi all,

Just encountered the dreaded trans failsafe prog error on my e39 530i 2001 msport. Am going through and reading the million existing posts about it on the web, but figured I'd post something here too in case.

What happened:

Drove onto the motor way in tiptronic mode, shifted fine 1-2-3-4 as usual. Then when trying to shift to 5, the car had a small thud/vibration and went back to 4. Tried again, and again felt a thud/vibration and it returned to gear 4 and enabled trans failsafe prog / limp mode. From then on, I was pretty much stuck on gear 4 for the rest of my drive ~20km - could not shift up or down - pretty much limp mode on 4th gear. Reverse worked fine.

Once I arrived home, I turned the car off, and shortly after started the car up again. The error was gone - went for a short drive and the gear shifts were all working normal, including gear 5.

I'll need to wait for the week to get it scanned (I don't have a scanner) - I know the error can be caused by a lot of things, but with the thud/vibration is this pretty much good signs of the gearbox dying? I don't understand how the error disappeared and the shifts started working all fine again after i restarted the car.

The trans fluid, filter and all that were serviced/replaced just a few months ago. Less than 10k kms ago.

I'll try to bring it in to Glenn's on Monday/Tuesday.

Any other input appreciated!

Edited by Arma

It can be a major, but it's been known to be caused by a dodgy battery too... Don't get your hopes up just yet though.

Glenn should be able to sort you out OK, though if it's only done it once it can be hard to pinpoint the exact cause on the first inspection.

• Like 1

It can be a major, but it's been known to be caused by a dodgy battery too... Don't get your hopes up just yet though.

Glenn should be able to sort you out OK, though if it's only done it once it can be hard to pinpoint the exact cause on the first inspection.

Been driving a bit and noticed the following. Shifts work but shifting to 5th gear lags a bit and is not smooth (feels like it struggles to go to 5th,but once on 5th it runs smooth). I checked for trans leaks but nothing so far, and since it was filled just few months ago i am assuming the level is ok. All other gears run fine. Is it still safe to drive? Im just avoiding 5th gear when driving for now.

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Assuming the level is ok is a bit naive, these boxes are quite sensitive to oil level, needs to be bang on, i wouldn't rely on the fact that it was done a little while back . Also, do these boxes have an oil cooler? blocked oil coolers are a common issue with the v8 boxes, has yours been cleaned?(if it has one)

• Like 1

Assuming the level is ok is a bit naive, these boxes are quite sensitive to oil level, needs to be bang on, i wouldn't rely on the fact that it was done a little while back . Also, do these boxes have an oil cooler? blocked oil coolers are a common issue with the v8 boxes, has yours been cleaned?(if it has one)

I certainly hope it's just a matter of low oil level! Yeah this car does have trans oil coolers as far as I know, right behind the radiator / fan shroud. I've had mine taken out when my frontal crash was getting fixed, but not sure whether it's been cleaned. The cooling system has been fully replaced over the last year (except for maybe 1 or 2 hoses that go under/behind the block).

If I tried to explain what happens when shifting from 4th to 5th gear in another way: it almost feels like it's shifted all the way down to 1st gear (heavy engine braking) for a second and then shifts to 5th. Downshifts from 5 to 4 feels fine.

I'm hoping an error code is saved in the system somewhere - going to go get it scanned and checked out tomorrow. I've had to rebuild the trans for my other e39 around the same mileage as well - not a cheap job. If that's the verdict, I'd have to opt for manual conversion.

Sounds like stuck solenoid. If Glenn normally does your repairs he will be able to suss it out. Don't drive it until sorted if possible!

Took it to Glenn's (Botany Motorworxx) today - awesome service as usual; explained the ins and outs of what might be wrong. So the fault codes are 049 - Symptom gear check, and 055 - Gear check 5. Haven't encountered any errors since the first time it happened, but those were the codes saved in the system. There weren't any engine fault codes so nothing causing it from that end.

Think the torque converter is gone and probably other stuff. Inevitable trans rebuild. Gears still work, i'm just using 1 to 4 and avoiding 5 for now until I get this fixed.

Will get it done one way or another, just torn between a manual conversion or rebuild of current trans. The plus side of manual conversion is of course having a manual 530i and all.. but plus side of rebuild is pretty much [almost] a brand new trans with warranty and worry free motoring. Just worried about putting another used gearbox in (for manual conversion) and having it sh*t on me after a few months; and of course any potential electronic headaches that I might encounter after a manual conversion. Decisions decisions...

Edited by Arma

A manual conversion done at HellBM would be fault free, as far as the electrics go, and the manual boxes are not known for breaking. Talk to Ray, I'm sure there will be some kind of warranty.

Bear in mind, once you go manual- it's difficult to go back. The character of the car is very different. Addictive :)

A manual conversion done at HellBM would be fault free, as far as the electrics go, and the manual boxes are not known for breaking. Talk to Ray, I'm sure there will be some kind of warranty.

Bear in mind, once you go manual- it's difficult to go back. The character of the car is very different. Addictive :)

Yeah I bet.

Ray hasn't got any boxes at the moment, but I think Brent has one. Would need to get new clutch/flywheel though - don't think I want to put in used ones for these. Any idea what common failures of the manual boxes are; there must be some?

Do I need an LVV cert for a manual conversion? And is insurance likely to go up a fair bit because of it too?

Still making a decision over the course of the week.

Cert not required if all OEM parts in factory locations are used. Insurance shouldn't change, just tell them the swap was done based on cost not performance. if you tell them at all I guess.

Only time I've heard of a ZF manual trans failing was because it was utterly thrashed, and the engine in front of it was boosted. Ask Kayne Barrie if he knows of any around too, does a bunch of trans & diff work for the race series etc. He'll know where to find one.

Cert not required if all OEM parts in factory locations are used. Insurance shouldn't change, just tell them the swap was done based on cost not performance. if you tell them at all I guess.

Only time I've heard of a ZF manual trans failing was because it was utterly thrashed, and the engine in front of it was boosted. Ask Kayne Barrie if he knows of any around too, does a bunch of trans & diff work for the race series etc. He'll know where to find one.

Cool thanks.

Just waiting on relevant parties to get back to me so I know that all the parts are available. Will just keep driving with my 4 gears for now until then.. let's hope the trans doesn't fall out while I'm driving. :ph34r:

Would it be stupid to put in a used clutch/flywheel?

Would it be stupid to put in a used clutch/flywheel?

Yes

• Like 2

Yes, dm flywheels are a wear item and need replacing regularly, and a second hand clutch would be a waste of time, both are available new.

• Like 1

Check out NZAD in Auckland I think the guys name was Gavin they supplied the flywheel clutch kit for the M54 B25 when I did the engine transplant and manual conversion on the ti.

• Like 1