Sign in to follow this  
martyyyn

E34 rubber suggestions

The 25 year old 535is with 311k kms has passed yet another wof needing nothing but tyres.

I've used Falkens (FK451, FK452, ZE912's) for years and can get them reasonably cheaply, but my driving has changed in the six months and I'm now doing 4-500kms a week of SH driving with very little around town. I've always found the Falkens to be pretty good, other than when they are at the end of their life they go very quickly.

The rear camber also destroys the inside edges pretty quickly.

So what are the rest of you e34 owners using ?

I don't want a 'touring' tyre as I get to fang it over the Paekakariki hill regularly and I'm not willing to give up on that just to get another couple of kms out of a set of rubber.

Not much input here...

But I recently put Falken FK452's on the 540i and in my opinion significantly worse than the (worn) Bridgestone RE002's for grip...

• Like 1

i have Bridgestone RE002s on my E34 too, which are no longer made an superceeded by RE003

Running 235/45R17 on the front and 255/40R17 on the back, the back doesnt kick out on the power with the V12 driving it.

Even tracked on them this time last year.

• Like 2

On our E39 Motorsport, going from Bridgestone semi slicks to Falkens felt like the car had taken off its running shoes and put slippers on. I'd place the Falkens firmly in the "touring" category- wobbly, rolly, soft riding tires, with ok-ish grip and wear.

Toyo Proxy4 on the 540, I've found them pretty good as an all rounder and not too bad for wear.

They will let go with a little provocation, but they've not done so unexpectedly.

i used to swap back to front regularly martynn to even out the uneven wear of front and back.Keep em on the same side tho

Go adrenalines in you can.

Bridgestone have a four for the price of three at the moment. Which is as expensive as 5 somewhere else probably, but you pay for quality.

Personally I try to run brigeys, or anything with a stiff sidewall and fairly square-ish shoulders. Heavy cars, no good with squishy sidewalls.

Go adrenalines in you can.

Bridgestone have a four for the price of three at the moment. Which is as expensive as 5 somewhere else probably, but you pay for quality.

Personally I try to run brigeys, or anything with a stiff sidewall and fairly square-ish shoulders. Heavy cars, no good with squishy sidewalls.

I will follow this up tomorrow, is it 4 for 3 across the Bridgestone range?

its for all the world to see on the bridgestone site, no need to be an IAG customer

its for all the world to see on the bridgestone site, no need to be an IAG customer

I clearly didn't look hard enough then

What tyre size are you after? I can price you some Michelin PS3's at 20% off retail if you want some proper rubber, none of the other rubbish compares. Freight is no biggie, usually 20 a tyre north island, or could get Hans to take em down for you. Flick me a PM if you're interested.

i used to swap back to front regularly martynn to even out the uneven wear of front and back.Keep em on the same side tho

Yeah, I meant to with these but 1) I've always been hesitant to rotate on older BMW's and 2) the mileage really crept up on me this time. Four or five trips a week to Porirua with my sons football academy should have made it obvious though !

Fix the rear end alignment and you won't get the inside edge wear , best tyres we had on the E39 were Bridgestone 050's but they are NLA

My understanding is you can do very little with the rear. Are you just talking about checking the consumables etc, or do you have anything specific I could do ?

What tyre size are you after? I can price you some Michelin PS3's at 20% off retail if you want some proper rubber, none of the other rubbish compares. Freight is no biggie, usually 20 a tyre north island, or could get Hans to take em down for you. Flick me a PM if you're interested.

Thanks Andrew, I'll PM you now.

I will follow this up tomorrow, is it 4 for 3 across the Bridgestone range?

I went into the local Bridgestone place today and they told me it was for selected tyres, and of selected sizes only.

None of the 050A, RE003 or S001 are on the list and they had nothing in 235/45/17.

IMO that makes this rather misleading....

http://www.bridgestonetyrecentre.co.nz/specials/buy-three-bridgestone-tyres-get-fourth-free/

i forgot to call them today, dammit, i guess they are still open for a few more minutes but who wants a call at 4.55 on a Friday arvo lol

Is that an open invite? I have been uhmming and ahhing if its worth stepping up or sticking to what i know and getting RE003. Last time i deviated from what i know i brought Continentals that were recommended, and my Hiace on Commercial Firestones understeers less than these.

set of 4x 205 50 R 16 please.

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_