Sign in to follow this  
RipJaws

Has anyone ever heard of this?

I want to know if anyone thinks blowing up a car tire works with a bicycle tire pump? (Don't hold back on how stupid you think it is)

Also if I was to fire a bullet from a barrel and drop a bullet from the same exact height as the muzzle which bullet would hit the ground first? (Bullet fired is fired out perfectly level)

There we go some good Sunday night thoughts.

Cheers

Of course you could inflate a car tire with a bicycle pump, it would take days but it could be done!

• Like 2

Not stupid at all... quite a few of the guys use upright bike pumps when racing!

Edited by Red Dwarf

But you would be farting against thunder so to speak if you didn't have the inlet absolutely perfectly fitting on to the tire valve. Unless it was one of those threaded inlet ones but who ever has them...

No more difficult than pumping up a bike tire, just a LOT more volume, and most bike tires run at about 60 psi so youre talking about half the pressure, let us know how you get on... ;)

My bike pump will pump up my bike tyres (commuter/trail, not skinnies) to 60 PSI in about 12 pumps.

The same pump will inflat my Beetle tyre to 25 PSI in about 12 minutes... :P

If the bead isn't seated... GOOD LUCK (though I managed it once!).

If it's a hand pump, single action...

baeb3-86db5_rude011.jpg

As for the bullet thing I believe they contact at the same time due to equal mass and gravity working on them. I think Mythbusters concluded that.

If I recall the curvature of the earth is a tiny factor though?

I use a vertical bike pump (in biking jargon, a track pump but sometimes aka a stirrup pump) to check tyre pressures on our cars and adjust as appropriate. It's probably more precise than some airlines.

I used one to inflate a Land Rover tyre once - 7.50x16. I've no plans to repeat that experience.

As for the bullet thing I believe they contact at the same time due to equal mass and gravity working on them. I think Mythbusters concluded that.

If I recall the curvature of the earth is a tiny factor though?

That would assume they have the same acceleration for the first 700mm (length of the barrel). The gun will have far higher initial acceleration because of the explosion, and will hit terminal velocity earlier in its decent, if not already exceeding terminal velocity when fired.
Depending on height of building they should hit the ground at same speed, but fired bullet will be much sooner.