Sign in to follow this  
Xcel

Bought a 325i project car

I've been looking for a project car for a while and I liked the shape of the E36 M3 but decided I'd go down a more unique route and start with a 325i since they were relatively inexpensive and turbo it in the hopes of achieving comparable performance.

post-53059-0-43840400-1449060257_thumb.j
post-53059-0-90771400-1449057099_thumb.j
post-53059-0-33494600-1449058524_thumb.j
This was what I got, it's fitted with a motorsport kit, the interior is in good condition (aside from some ill fitting panels and custom made door cards) but I like the wheels on it so visually I'm pretty happy with it. The only problem is it was an automatic and I wanted a manual, since they are so rare I thought it might be a good opportunity to upgrade to a ZF 5 speed transmission anyway. For now I'm not worried about turbocharging and just want to get the basics sorted out, transmission and brakes (planning on using 330i brakes front and rear). It has Monroe shocks fitted so I'm hoping I will be okay in the suspension department but will see. I would like to stroke it with a 328i crank and a decompression plate/ARP bolts at a later point.

I have an almost complete manual conversion kit currently and an M3 flywheel/clutch, only got as far as switching the pedals over so far though so it's probably one of the only automatics with a clutch pedal right now.

I've had a few small issues so far, sometimes it doesn't start until the positive battery terminal is reattached. Not sure if this is something to do with the factory immobilizer or what. The cigarette lighter was disconnected but this was an easy fix. Had to fix the sun roof switch panel with some velcro. I also discovered it's slowly leaking fuel when filled above around 57L, wondering if it's the fuel sender unit. The leak originated from what looks like the top of the fuel tank but has stopped now.

I have two other issues at the moment, first is deciding whether to use the M3 clutch pressure plate and flywheel with a new clutch disc or upgrade to an aftermarket clutch and flywheel if it's necessary (don't really want to go lightweight as it will be daily driven). Second issue is that I need a clutch pivot pin and I would like to get something more durable such a brass or stainless option but I'm not sure where to get one from in New Zealand.

Edited by Xcel

Great pics, sounds a lot of fun. Welcome to the forum.

Should be heaps of help for your plans on here

from what you said 'fitted with a msport kit' im guessing its just a standard spec with the bodykit?

the ride height looks a bit high for a msport haha maybe needs some msport springs? stiffen it up a bit

from what you said 'fitted with a msport kit' im guessing its just a standard spec with the bodykit?

the ride height looks a bit high for a msport haha maybe needs some msport springs? stiffen it up a bit

Not quite sure what springs it has but I'm fairly happy with the ride height as it is, already rubs a bit pulling out of driveways. The manual conversion kit sitting in the boot in those photos probably made the front rise a bit too.

Has anyone tried installing an angel eyes kit in these headlights? I know some people probably think they are tacky but I think they suit.

Just stalked into here from the clutch thread.

Looks good man! I'm in palmy too, have a code reader (ADS so suits 95 models inc JDM) so if you need to make use of that... and a 'high lift' spoiler if you want to classy up the rear end a bit.

I looked into angel eyes, but thought they were a bit tacky, I've gone with 'french fogs' yellow tints for high beam and fog lights, which look fantastic imo, and more period accurate. Either way, getting into the light unit is pretty easy.

PS, I've got a lathe so can probably just turn you up a clutch pivot pin if you can track down some material.

Edited by tawatech
  • Like 1

Just stalked into here from the clutch thread.

Looks good man! I'm in palmy too, have a code reader (ADS so suits 95 models inc JDM) so if you need to make use of that... and a 'high lift' spoiler if you want to classy up the rear end a bit.

I looked into angel eyes, but thought they were a bit tacky, I've gone with 'french fogs' yellow tints for high beam and fog lights, which look fantastic imo, and more period accurate. Either way, getting into the light unit is pretty easy.

PS, I've got a lathe so can probably just turn you up a clutch pivot pin if you can track down some material.

Awesome, that would be far better than spending >$40 to get one shipped from the US haha.

I was thinking about a CSL style spoiler originally, do you have a picture of the one you have?

No worries, have you got a link to some replacement pins to figure out what we need to get/do?

I've got a pic of the red one I bought to replace it (I bought it in rough grey finish then one came up color matched to my car).

http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/54167-the-inevitable-e36-coupe-project/page-3

The pic is not the most flatering angle, but it shows the 'high arch' (not lift, it didn't look right when I posted it) indentation on the front middle third; I think it looks pretty grouse tbh.

It does look pretty easy to turn on a lathe, given the right dimensions. I'm sure there must be other members who might be interested in one too, it's a nice easy mod to do when changing a clutch and it would be a lot more durable than the OEM version.

http://www.rogueengineering.com/rogue/D/RE-CLU-PIN.html

If only they didn't censor the dimensions on this haha.
11078962_435168776638175_1004875533_n.jp

Got around to making one this morning, took quite a while and then I stuffed the taper up, ran out of material, and had to weld a little bit on to get the length. So on the plus side the nipple bit is work hardened; but on the minus side, you're pretty unlikely to save anything buying it ($50) from me (obviously no obligation to do so as it'll happily go in mine).

Edited by tawatech