Sign in to follow this  
Herbmiester

E46 DISa Valve refurbish

After getting the Budget 330ci engine leaks fixed, Vanos seals done, water pump replaced PCV, VAnos line etc, I decided to check the DISA; it was toast. The flap just spun but the vacuum was still fine so it was a candidate for repair rather than replacement. I bought this kit from England as its a better quality kit than some of the budget ones and postage ex England is a lot cheaper than the USA.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161027574098?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It took about an hour to do, remove the airbox and then use a Torx 40 to get the DISA out. Replacing the flap was straightforward and this page shows you how, much more comprehensive than I could post.

https://www.germanautosolutions.com/diy_tech/disa_repair_kit/m54_disa_kit_diy.php

Idle is a bit smoother and throttle response seems a bit sharper as well especially in the mid range. It would appear that if you have a higher mileage M54 motor then your DISA is probably on its way out. The scary thing is that when they start failing a small pin in the flap can come out and may eventually work its way into the engine. When I took my DISA out the pin was nearly all the way out.

Is there a disa valve on the m52 as well?

thanks for the heads-up. M54B25 kit is now on my list of planned preventative maintenance for 2016.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-DISA-Valve-Intake-Adjuster-Unit-Aluminium-Rebuild-Upgrade-M54-2-2-or-2-5-/151042490072?hash=item232ad57ed8:g:usgAAOSwNSxVVRwf

Olaf.

Edited by Olaf

Its not a tough job and it made a noticeable difference to idle and throttle response.

• Like 1

I checked the disa on my m54 (120,000kms) and it was fine, but I can see how a faulty one can cause major problems, especially the risk of the metal pin getting sucked into the engine.

I checked the disa on my parts car (165,000kms) out of curiosity and it was faulty.

You can buy aftermarket metal ones which look way better, and way more reliable.

While you are there, you may as well remove the throttle body and the icv that are below it and give them a thorough clean with throttle body cleaner.

Disa valve seems to be common to be deleted or the flap removed and left unplugged

I've only heard bad things about disa deletes.

Loss of low end torque, error codes etc

I have no error codes, possibly loss of low down torque but it's a 728 so it's no rocket even in tip top condition

When I removed the DISA valve while waiting for the kit to arrive I didn't notice anything, but on installing the kit there was a noticeable difference to both throttle response and torque.