Sign in to follow this  
e30ftw

Bricked MSS54 DME

I have a spare MSS54 DME that is apparently dead, I had it sent to the U.S for some modding and was told it doesn't work. I don't really have a way of testing it but I have the keys, EWS box etc that were with the DME.

The only catch is that they made me buy one of their spares and never actually sent me my original back until months later when I made a Paypal claim. It's definitely been opened, as they said they tried to "connect directly to the chips" and it wouldn't work.

I don't really wanna go naming people and places, but I was told after some time from a reputable tuner in the U.S after dropping into someone elses thread on another forum that I was probably screwed over and that they don't fail often at all (which was what made me pursue getting my original DME back)

Is there any way to tell if the DME matches the EWS? I checked the VIN on the casing and it goes back to a UK M3, Nothing obvious on the EWS to show they match. I never had written it down before hand but I'm sure it's likely the outside of mine at least, but whether they just switched the inside or not is questionable.

If it's dead it's dead, nothing I can do i guess. I opened it up and it all looks OK, nothing obviously done. Just curious if they dicked me really, plus would be good to know if there was a way to get it working so i could have a spare or sell the matching set or keys / EWS and DME. Optimistic

Will get Tom's attention to this thread. As he has the gear to do the chip replacement method

We have restored ecus before that are deemed 'dead' over obd.

If not the last way is to dump the a new flash onto the rom chips directly.

The ecu can be realigned to your ews... all this really needs to be done in car ideally as its a bitch trying to do it on the bench.

Ews ignition cut can be disabled if it's really a problem.

I can match any mss54 to any ews box and keys. I can also flash ews boxes and modify these and rolling codes to used keys ect!

I also have the ability to recover so called bricked mss54 most of the time. They do crap out from time to time from people that don't know what they are doing (plenty of those on that forum) - there's a guy on there that claims he can do this and that and trust me I get more emails from him than spams!

Send it to me and I'll test it for you. It makes no difference which car the dme came from I can virginise these so you can pair it with any ews box or key sets.

I don't know why you bothered sending these to the USA as I have the knowledge and equipement to do almost everything the Americans can do with these and more.

I have a test dme and I can tell you this dme has gone to hell and back - I have even test brick and recovered this to help out a guy that did the same in the UK - there's a specific way to put these into boot mode so it can be recovered (even when it fails to talk via BDM).

Send it to me and cover return postage and I'll check it for you for free and recover it for nothing.

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 10

Received and repaired and revirginised for ews repairing.

Someone who didn't know what they were doing had been trying to flash this via bdm and corrupted the file on one of the chipsets.

Poor soldering work on the bdm header also.

It was the original dme afterall and the part of the data not corrupted had the correct vin number information on it.

• Like 10

Love your work, I need to learn some of this stuff.

For what it's worth, It was Kassel Performance in the U.S.. #NameAndShame

Threads like this is why I love this community.

Nice work Tom. Yeah some cowboys out there for sure.

Glad the outcome was all good in the end.

Tom are you able to do ews delete and a/c delete on these DME??

EWS delete is easy ... Why do you need a/c delete?? It isn't usually done and makes little sense.

we have our engines in a race car so we dont have the a/c pump so it comes up with faults. thought it might be a good idea to have it removed off the dme at some point in time

You can disable it in the DTC table so it wont come up in the scan. There is also a bit value to bypass the feature in the calibration sector.

Personally I'd just delete the dtc for the aircon as the map it affects only really relates to aircon being on anyways.

Can send to me to do easy : )

some people use the air con button to switch on the electric fan despite deleting the rest of air con system