Sign in to follow this  
twiggles94

Do I have a problem?

So I was cleaning the e39 today and I just noticed that a lot of the rubber trim attached to the bottom of my windshield has cracked and/or broken off. Is this an issue that must be dealt with urgently or is it even an issue? I haven't noticed anything coming into the cabin so does it just flow in to the engine bay / firewall?

post-53043-0-42609400-1452154033_thumb.j

Edited by twiggles94

The screen is eurothaned in so wont leak there. Water will tend to sit there though & if any damage to the paint - previous screen replacement, then you will have a rust issue. Best replace the trim.

• Like 1

I have this problem on both my e46's but its $219.94 each one.

Looks like I will have to go to a wreckers yard.

• Like 1

The screen is eurothaned in so wont leak there. Water will tend to sit there though & if any damage to the paint - previous screen replacement, then you will have a rust issue. Best replace the trim.

Cheers Grant, any idea how much to get such a job done, or is it relatively easy to DIY with a new trim? Sorry never had any experience on windshields.

Is that OEM or aftermarket Nate and I'm assuming you mean for the trim alone not for the job? Not much point in getting one from the wreckers IMO, had a look while I was at Pick A Part a few days ago and both e39's there had the same issue although not quite as bad. Think it's just a thing from age, replacing it with another second hand trim seems like a waste of time and effort if you have to redo the process a little down the track?

• Like 1

Got to do the same on my E38 as well, quite similar to the E39. Doesn't look to hard looking at E38.org

Will be getting mine sorted next month. Price is 250 odd bucks for just the cowl piece, not fitted

• Like 2

Yep, put a new one on & forget about it. As you say - finding a good second hand one. Even if - getting off & back on again may well change that.

I doubt there is an aftermarket option.

• Like 1

Hey Ian, its the price from forum sponsor euroitalian. Im sure the dealership would be twice that. And yea just for the part.

Installation is really easy;

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1334705-DIY-Replacing-the-windshield-cowl

Sorry for the hijack OP

• Like 1

Only locally. I bought one for my E46 for $100 all up from fcpeuro.com, was a genuine BMW part too.

Will be a bit higher now as the NZD has dived since then but you should still save.

Might be a similar case for the E39

Edited by Matth5
  • Like 1

Didn't read everything but I bought the E39 windscreen rubber from BMW for sub $100 when I had one and replaced it myself in an hour

• Like 1

Only locally. I bought one for my E46 for $100 all up from fcpeuro.com, was a genuine BMW part too.

Will be a bit higher now as the NZD has dived since then but you should still save.

Might be a similar case for the E39

Thanks Matt - had a look at their site.

They seem to only stock the left hand drive version;

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-windshield-wiper-cowl-e46-51718208483

Did you have to make a special order for the right hand drive version? (51718189100)

Thanks for all the replies, looks like it's a common issue across many BMWs then. I'll look into those sources and let you guys know how I get on. Might help someone for future reference.

Didn't read everything but I bought the E39 windscreen rubber from BMW for sub $100 when I had one and replaced it myself in an hour

TJ you just rang up BMW with the part number for a quote or did ya go in?

Thanks Matt - had a look at their site.

They seem to only stock the left hand drive version;

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-windshield-wiper-cowl-e46-51718208483

Did you have to make a special order for the right hand drive version? (51718189100)

I would have thought the trim would be symetrical and interchangeable between left and right drives... guess not?

Edited by twiggles94

^^^ depends on wipers for left or right :) all my BMs are Euro assembled and have left hand wipers so don't get caught out with right hand when you might need left hand

• Like 1

Hello, have replaced this item on my e46 some time back and obtained the part from Pelican in the states. They asked me if it was for a left hand or right hand drive vehicle so they are different luck must have been on my side and they had one for a right hand drive approx $82.00 US about $122 NZ. Try this part number and see how you get on 51718159292 if nothing else will give you a cost comparison but the shipping might kill it now plus the low exchange rate around 66 I think doesn't help. They are an easy D.I.Y to do and google is a big help so a few more $$$$ saved and you get work experience on your car best of luck.

Edited by tim 325

crikey, I was reamed more than $300+GST when I sourced and replaced mine a few years back.

yes OP, you should replace your e39 one - it's all part of the weather protection and design of the car.

Hello, have replaced this item on my e46 some time back and obtained the part from Pelican in the states. They asked me if it was for a left hand or right hand drive vehicle so they are different luck must have been on my side and they had one for a right hand drive approx $82.00 US about $122 NZ. Try this part number and see how you get on 51718159292 if nothing else will give you a cost comparison but the shipping might kill it now plus the low exchange rate around 66 I think doesn't help. They are an easy D.I.Y to do and google is a big help so a few more $$$$ saved and you get work experience on your car best of luck.

Cheers Allan will give them a crack!

crikey, I was reamed more than $300+GST when I sourced and replaced mine a few years back.

yes OP, you should replace your e39 one - it's all part of the weather protection and design of the car.

Definitely. what I really meant to ask was how urgently it required my attention and how much I'd be looking to spend. ;) In the process of getting my car resprayed, so bank will be hurting a little bit hahaha. Also if anyone knows of any affordable but decent painters around Auckland feel free to let me know! much appreciated. :D

I found the PN online and gave that to NMW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Cant think why they are handed, on the E39 at least. The wipers orintation are the same for left or right hand drive. They are biased to left hand market but the drivers arm is on an elongated cam arrangement so that it extends further into the corner of the screen. Unlike earlier cars where worked opposite for each market.

• Like 1

Hey Allan, is that part # for RH drive? I put the it through RealOem but where does it say right or left drive? I shall go past the dealership today for a quote.

Okay so the part number seems to be the same for left and right hand drive versions. I think they are symetrical for the e39 but not for e46, you guys and your e46's confused me hahah.

Couldn't be bothered driving to New Market today in the shitty weather, but did get down to MotorService (independent BMW & Merc workshop) in Panmure though and they quoted me $120+GST (~$140) for the cowl which I thought wasn't too bad. They did mention that it would come directly from BMW, so I was thinking I could possibly get it even cheaper if I get it myself directly. Will maybe give them a ring or drive down tomorrow and see. From FCP and PelicanParts it'll cost roughly 125USD (~$190) plus waiting time of who knows how long. So won't be going that route.

Edited by twiggles94

Keep us posted on what BMW charge for the parts - I need to replace the weather seal & wiper cowling on the wifes wagon too

• Like 1

Okay so the part number seems to be the same for left and right hand drive versions. I think they are symetrical for the e39 but not for e46, you guys and your e46's confused me hahah.

Couldn't be bothered driving to New Market today in the shitty weather, but did get down to MotorService (independent BMW & Merc workshop) in Panmure though and they quoted me $120+GST (~$140) for the cowl which I thought wasn't too bad. They did mention that it would come directly from BMW, so I was thinking I could possibly get it even cheaper if I get it myself directly. Will maybe give them a ring or drive down tomorrow and see. From FCP and PelicanParts it'll cost roughly 125USD (~$190) plus waiting time of who knows how long. So won't be going that route.

Thats a really cheap price.

Thats a really cheap price.

Yea mate, not bad eh quite surprised myself. Wouldn't trust them to do any work on my car though from the way they hoon around in their customers' cars.

Sorry to hear about your wagon btw, hope you get it sorted!

Edited by twiggles94

$127+GST from BMW, I think that's the price from the workshop too, he probably said 'around' $120+GST.

Team McM I assume?