Sign in to follow this  
RJM

New member in Auckland- e39 530i

Hey guys, I've recently purchased a 2001 530i M Sport and I'm excited to experience BMW ownership for the first time. I'm only 18 but I have an absolute passion for cars and the e39 has always appealed to me! The car is black with 17" M rims, M body kit, M steering wheel, dual tip muffler, black kidney grilles and tints on the front & rear lights (the photo was taken with the sun shining on the car so the rear lights are darker in real life). I plan on eventually plasti dipping the rims as they're slightly damaged in places and was wondering if anyone has experience with plasti dipping? Is it as easy and effective as advertised? I'll either go with silver to retain the stock look, or grey/black.

Cheers! (I'm in East Auckland btw)

post-53204-0-63471800-1456097108_thumb.j

post-53204-0-39609500-1456097111_thumb.j

post-53204-0-65798700-1456097113_thumb.j

• Like 2

Welcome mate!

I have a soft spot for the e39's.
Probably my back up if I didn't get my e90 in Jan.

I'm looking at Plasti Dipping my wheels too. Currently sitting on stock silver with a bit of damage.
Keep us posted on your progress, would love to know if it's worth it :)

welcome to the forum fellow east sider, should come along to my monthly coffee meetings to meet the other members etc.

yes. plastidip is easy and its cheap enough to just give it a try without doing any permanent damage.

I personally dont mind the blacked out rear lights but the dark front headlights just look stupid and also hazardous to other vehicles in my opinion. but hey its your car.

welcome to the forum fellow east sider, should come along to my monthly coffee meetings to meet the other members etc.

yes. plastidip is easy and its cheap enough to just give it a try without doing any permanent damage.

I personally dont mind the blacked out rear lights but the dark front headlights just look stupid and also hazardous to other vehicles in my opinion. but hey its your car.

I'm not usually a fan either.

They don't look too bad with the lights on however

Welcome, gotta love that E39 experience .

Looks really sharp

Thanks for the replies guys, I think I'll give plasti dipping a go in the near future! Glad to be a part of the Bimmersport community.

Whilst I agree the tints are a bit too dark, I don't think I'll be removing them unless I'm forced to (police or wof issues). It adds to the aggressive look and the lights are basically normal brightness so not such a safety issue. Thanks for the feedback, hopefully I'll get around to plasti dipping soon!

Edited by RJM
  • Like 1

Welcome, I had a pretty much identical 530i Msport a while ago...great car, I regret selling mine!

Whilst I agree the tints are a bit too dark, I don't think I'll be removing them unless I'm forced to (police or wof issues). It adds to the aggressive look and the lights are basically normal brightness so not such a safety issue. Thanks for the feedback, hopefully I'll get around to plasti dipping soon!

hopefully you dont get fined $200 for having illegal tints on your lights

looks badass but not so badass when you gotta cough up 2 spot

Welcome to the forums man. Another fellow East Aucklander, hope to see you on our next monthly meet.

Welcome. You're amongst good company, there's lots of E39 love here.