Sign in to follow this  
E36MSport

Which Scanner?

Hope someone may be able to shed a bit of light on this. I have a 1996 328 and would like to be able to monitor live data via my smart phone or laptop. There is an assortment of BT scanners on TM and adapters from the BMW diagnostic port to the standard OBDII port but no idea which will actually work. Has anyone been through this?

Probably none I'm afraid based on the age of your car. Pre mid/late 1997 most (all?) BMW's were not OBD compatible, they used a proprietary (and more powerful) interface called ADS. I'm not aware of any modern systems that are ADS compatible (but would love to know if there are any out there).

For a 1996 E36 (mine is also a 1996) your best (only?) bet is a laptop with BMW's DIS and INPA software and a compatible cable that plugs in to the engine bay (there's no in-cabin interface pre 1997 either).

Thanks for the heads up. Can you provide any source data for the software that would be needed? Another option, and I've done zero research on this, can an OBDII ECM be installed on a pre-OBDII vehicle? Assuming there will be some harness splicing but did much change from 1996-1998?

Reason that I'm asking is I purchased this vehicle to build up over time and would like to be able to monitor mods as I make them. I would also like the ability of self diagnostics should I need any.

Thanks for the heads up. Can you provide any source data for the software that would be needed?

You just need DIS and INPA, perhaps NCS Dummy and NCS Expert (for coding) and the correct hardware. Have a read up about those first and when you're more familure with the terms post back here with what you know and I/we can help get you across the line.

There are pre-built solutions (laptop and cable included) available on ebay.uk but I created my setup myself.

Another option, and I've done zero research on this, can an OBDII ECM be installed on a pre-OBDII vehicle? Assuming there will be some harness splicing but did much change from 1996-1998?

No. Different sensors and feeds.

Reason that I'm asking is I purchased this vehicle to build up over time and would like to be able to monitor mods as I make them. I would also like the ability of self diagnostics should I need any.

The software listed above will aid with this.

Keep in mind the ADS interface is well.... dated, and so is the DIS software. INPA is better, but not as powerful. Neither are really as good imo as decent OBD2 software.

Unless you specifically need it for diagnostics, i wouldnt even bother.

Inpa gives way more data than a basic odb 2 scanner. I feel like inpa would be way more useful.

Don't know it he'll be able to help you but worth a look. I got a cable and software for my '97 520i for about NZ$100 delivered.

K-Line Cable Set

K-Line Cable Set

For model year's 1997-2007, using K-Line cable and 16-20 pin OBD adapter when round 20 pin OBD port can be found under cars bonnet on inner wing. (This 20 pin adapter is not ADS so will have limited support for ADS equiped models, ie E36).

http://www.cable-shack.co.uk/

^ "(This 20 pin adapter is not ADS so will have limited support for ADS equiped models, ie E36)"

No good in this case.

Cheers M3AN. Where do I find a laptop with a bloody serial port? Looks like this cable doesn't allow a usb adapter.

i could never get ADS working over USB adapter, had to buy an ancient Dell laptop off Trademe to get a dedicated serial port.

ADS won't work over a USB adaptor without some complex black magic - many have tried and failed.

My laptop doesn't have a serial put port but the docking station does and that works perfectly. Many docking stations have a serial port.

Also Andy (_Ethrty-Andy_) on here runs an IT recycling business, might pay to send him a PM and ask?

Edited by M3AN

I got the same TinyADS for my 96, works with an old PC I had, bought a PCMCIA laptop expansion slot serial thingo, but my laptop got nicked before I could test that out. So that's an option too, if a lappy with a serial port proves too difficult to find...

Just a thought - there were a few hybrid E36s produced in 1996 and you may have an OBDII ECM. Get it scanned to make sure...