Sign in to follow this  
Contrails

E39 540i in Auckland

G'day everyone,

Has anyone already seen this car in person? http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1070183126.htm

Looks like it has a crack on the right hand side of the front bumper but other than that looks good. Maybe it is a member's car?

Might go check it out this weekend.

• Like 2

I helped my sister buy one of these similar kms same spec, got PPI from team mcm passed with flying colours, 1 yr later chain guides broke. I wouldnt touch another one with over 150k unless guides replaced. Took me $1200 parts and two months to diy part time.

I helped my sister buy one of these similar kms same spec, got PPI from team mcm passed with flying colours, 1 yr later chain guides broke. I wouldnt touch another one with over 150k unless guides replaced. Took me $1200 parts and two months to diy part time

Thanks mate. I ended up reading quite a bit on the the Chain guide failures on these cars. Looks like I am better off looking for a 530i instead.

• Like 1

Every chain failure ive seen has been on the vanos M62.

get it checked. ask for service history. no history and you can negotiate the price.

Nice cars these ones...

Personally I don't like the black on black combination but I am weird anyway....

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Another way of covering risk is to slap a Vero/Autosure MBI on it. You can do this for standard euros max 250K kms and 16yrs age.

I did this with my privately purchased 2001 X5. Jonno @MTF Mt Vic.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies everyone. Thanks for the link Peter, I have seen the listing on trademe before but I am after a black one with sunroof and leather.

• Like 1

Pete, just curious what price range would I be looking at to get covered with Autosure on my e39? Have you got some yourself? It's a 98 525 with 80xxxks? Been thinking about it sometime but never got round to getting a quote.

buy lucans old 530i

http://www.trademe.c...-1085196450.htm

edit: and we can be twins

I test drove that one,I would rather give it a miss Kyu. But I would love a black 530i with leather and sunroof and one that's been looked after. Or I could get a black 540i and give you a hard time for missing two cylinders, hehe.

What was wrong with lucans old one? Not in good condition?

Would be jelly if u got a 540 but tbh i love my 6cyl. Economical and enough power for a daily. No sunroof though but ticks all other boxes

Why do you want a sunroof? Just curious as I find them pretty useless for anything and a potential source of water ingress

What was wrong with lucans old one? Not in good condition?

Let's just say I felt sorry for that car. Beautiful car but could have been so much better if the current owner had looked after it. You could tell it had been neglected and it was a time bomb waiting to go. But it still drove very nicely, smooth operator came to mind right away. 530i vs 540i mate, such a tough decision. I am gonna go check out a 540i tomorrow.

Why do you want a sunroof? Just curious as I find them pretty useless for anything and a potential source of water ingress

I feel as though it give a sense of bigger space in the cabin. Also, ventilation and enjoying the sun on my face.

Edited by Contrails
  • Like 1

Stinky fart egress.

• Like 2

Pete, just curious what price range would I be looking at to get covered with Autosure on my e39? Have you got some yourself? It's a 98 525 with 80xxxks? Been thinking about it sometime but never got round to getting a quote.

Check the attached rates sheet. Your 98 will be too old - max age is 16 years. 2001+ will be OK. I put 4 years on my 2001 210kms E53 v8.

MBI Gold rates sheet.pdf

• Like 1