Sign in to follow this  
Scrambler

E30 Coolant tank for M5X Swap (M20 expansion tank?)

I'm using e36 Radiator and I believe that works well with the M20 E30 expansion tank?

Edited by Scrambler

Havent had any issues using the e36 radiator and m20 tank on my swap. Just have to cut the hose coming out of the expansion tank to suit. My issue currently is trying to get the E36 airbox go fit around it haha.

Haha yeah theres always a next thing! I might just use a poddy to simplyfy things

most people end up having to use a pod filter, just easiest for packaging. while it is true pod filters are inferior to a proper airpbox, an M5x in an E30 is a significant improvement over the stock E30 engine anyway!

as for radiation, my preference if to use the NZ new spec radiator with the built in expansion tank. looks a lot nicer and less to fit into the engine bay. the japanese type is much bigger for cooling tho

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

Which tank do you want? The pre-facelift Zeppelin shaped one that sits up high in front of the battery, or the facelift, square one that sits lower down in the inner guard?

I have both and will be down in HB this week-end.

most people end up having to use a pod filter, just easiest for packaging. while it is true pod filters are inferior to a proper airpbox, an M5x in an E30 is a significant improvement over the stock E30 engine anyway!

Easy enough to fix with some ally/baking trays ;)

as for radiation, my preference if to use the NZ new spec radiator with the built in expansion tank. looks a lot nicer and less to fit into the engine bay. the japanese type is much bigger for cooling tho

Oh sweet, good info. I have a good e36 rad because Ive got a whole donor car so I'll just re use that for the time being. I was thinking of getting a fenix full alloy rad later on when I iron out the e30's creases. For now I'd just like to get it going.

Which tank do you want? The pre-facelift Zeppelin shaped one that sits up high in front of the battery, or the facelift, square one that sits lower down in the inner guard?

I have both and will be down in HB this week-end.

I'm quite keen on the bubble looking later model one that looks like this:

ibva_Va_VKplbili.jpg

By the way, are there any extra mounts I'll need for that expansion tank? My e30 was originally an m40 with the expansion tank on the rad

Yeah there is one bracket that it slides in to at the bottom then a stud that holds another plastic clip. Just get a rad with built in expansion tank, makes the whole setup much tidier. Unless of course you want to track / race it and need the bigger radiator.

Yeah there is one bracket that it slides in to at the bottom then a stud that holds another plastic clip. Just get a rad with built in expansion tank, makes the whole setup much tidier. Unless of course you want to track / race it and need the bigger radiator.

Could I re use the original m40 one for now?

Yep, I ran something like that for ages. Actually worked better than the fenix piece of sh*t I put in later.

• Like 1

Use an e36 328i radiator with A/C, like this one I used in my vert...

P1050091s_zps3spkssg4.jpg