Sign in to follow this  
LemonHunter

Cheap E36 318iS sanity check

This one is off forum, student in CHCH has it, i'm going to confirm the part number on the front shocks before i proceed, if its going to need the shocks replaced to get it handling right the price point isn't right for me, gut feeling is prior poster was right about them not being stock, it's possible that they are MS, but from 325 or 328, the shocks on this are only interchangable with the 316's, if it's just springs to swap it's not so bad, but if i'm going to have to throw 1K at it... makes better financial sense to buy the 328 auto on the forum and smash my G260 in it./

14 minutes ago, EURO V8 said:

This one is off forum, student in CHCH has it, i'm going to confirm the part number on the front shocks before i proceed, if its going to need the shocks replaced...

Talk to Chris at Suspension Tech - www.stech.co.nz.

42 minutes ago, qube said:

did you buy dan's 318is? what size tyres are you running on the style 32s? and what is the wheel specs/offset?

Yeah I did, will PM specs when I'm home.

4 hours ago, Rubix said:

They were all manual.
Suspension is great (new bilsteins in the rear) - Motor is fine. Whole car is mint, but I just don't drive it like I do the paseo (Which I bought for $500 and don't give a crap about, so I drive it like a rental car at all times).
I'll drive it more come summer, but I did downgrade from an M3 so definitely missing a bit of power :P

They aren't all manual. They came as auto as well.

2 hours ago, Golfboy666GTI said:

They aren't all manual. They came as auto as well.

318 is ms were a commemorative model built in SA, I believe about 2500 cars built, all came manual, as sedans with 17" style 32's.

This does not include your regular run of the mill 318is'. Feel free to search this forum for previous posts regarding them.

Edited by Rubix

22 hours ago, Rubix said:

318 is ms were a commemorative model built in SA, I believe about 2500 cars built, all came manual, as sedans with 17" style 32's.

This does not include your regular run of the mill 318is'. Feel free to search this forum for previous posts regarding them.

If you search on the forum you will find I have provided a fair bit of info on these cars.

Here is one of the auto versions built in SA:

Auto%20E36%20318is%20Motorsport_zpsohne1

Here is a VIN from a written oof auto: ABMCD62090NA41229

I guess you have a VIN decoder you can access?

Standard Equipment

Other than trim and transmission, they may as well be clones, it's definitly a ZA MS, just waiting to find out what shocks it's running, gut feeling is they are MS shocks, but wrong springs.

ZA MS Comparison 1.JPG

Don't stick your 260 in it. The bellhousing is tilted 10*. Better to sell it to the e30/28 crowd and buy a 220

• Like 2

On 5 September 2016 at 4:58 PM, qube said:

how about the bbs wheels? :ph34r:

These may not be BBS wheels? I can't see them on the BMW 'style' sheet either.

image.jpeg

They look to be style 5 BMW wheels with missing centre caps :D I was talking to that same guy the other day about the 325i coupe he had

26 minutes ago, EURO V8 said:

These may not be BBS wheels? I can't see them on the BMW 'style' sheet either.

image.jpeg

probably e38 16" by 8" ones or e39 16" by 7"

I have a few sets of the 8" ones , with semi slicks on them like this

2015-04-17 17.31.18.jpg

2014-06-01 12.38.41.jpg

On Tuesday, September 06, 2016 at 11:40 AM, Rubix said:

They were all manual.
Suspension is great (new bilsteins in the rear) - Motor is fine. Whole car is mint, but I just don't drive it like I do the paseo (Which I bought for $500 and don't give a crap about, so I drive it like a rental car at all times).
I'll drive it more come summer, but I did downgrade from an M3 so definitely missing a bit of power :P

Rubbish.

They are the E39 ones then, 7", will be hunting for the original styles are part of the build, now living on my driveway.  

Battery being weird, wouldn't start first morning, battery condition indicator green though, gave the battery a shake and it started fine