Sign in to follow this  
NZ00Z3

Will a M54B25 be a direct M52TUB25 replacement?

Hi

Looking at engine replacement options for a 2000 E46 that has a M52TUB25 from the factory.  Don't want to get into LVV certification over Xmas so sticking to the 2.5L options. Been researching if a M54B25 will be a direct replacement if I use the existing headers and manifold.  Yes I'll drop a HP or 2 off the M54 spec's, but if the engine fits, it will do nicely for a daily drive.

Its looking very promising, but I can't confirm is the existing headers will bolt onto the M54 head.  

Has anyone tried this engine swap or can confirm the header question?

Cheers

Muzz

Edited by NZ00Z3

yes all can be swapped around

m52b25tu with the m54 bits on will be the same power etc as the m54b25

can supply either 2.5l or 2.8l options if needed

Thanks everyone, M54B25 has been purchased

what about the ECU, Murray?

2 hours ago, Olaf said:

what about the ECU, Murray?

Thank you for your comment.

The ECU should all be good.  The M52TUB25 engine is the M54B25 beta.  Both are dual VANOS, 2.5 L and use all the same sensors, injectors, MAF and thermostat.

I'm taking the M52TUB25 out and putting the M54B25 in with the M52TUB25 manifold and header.  The ECU should not see any difference.  It will adjust the fuel trims as it learns the new engine in hot/closed loop mode.  The fuel trim tables for cold/open loop mode will still be for a 2.5L engine, so should not notice any differences.

- Engine is on its way south from Auckland.

- Two boxes of "all those other parts you should replace when the engine is out" are in the air from around the world

- Will be making good use of any rainy days over the Xmas break with my head under the bonnet.

- Have suggested to the family that a 4 day tin of good luck would make a great Xmas present for me.

how cool is that?  you're laughing, really.  Do post your progress pics, you're bound to pick up encouragement here, particularly if your mojo is flagging and you're being tempted away from the garage by another ham sandwich!