Sign in to follow this  
KiwiTT

Problem wth BMW 320i on Trademe

Any Japanese import Euro car that is over 5 years old is liable to turn into a very expensive money tip. Especially the lower spec small capacity versions. A 10 year old low km is a hand grenade waiting to have the pin pulled by a heavy right foot. I have one 2 in the workshop today. Euro manufacturers have lost the plot with reliability since about 2005.They are now building / manufacturing to a 3-5 recycle rate which only continues to burn the consumers bank accounts

Edited by *Glenn*
  • Like 1

Might give my intended next purchase (E91) a miss then... ouch.

Or are 6's more reliable with good maintenance?

Edited by SmithyInWelly

The E9x 4 cylinder engine has a horrible reputation for reliability, not to mention it's the most boring model to get...

The straight 6s are great. Maintenance still isn't cheap and repairs will be pricey, but they can be very reliable if you do your homework and take care of them. 

If you go for the 335s, the turbos again come with a new set of issues and they are expensive to look after. Mine has given me some hassle, I do properly thrash it though :)

The straight 6 engines without turbos are a nice sweet spot of performance and reliability. 

Edited by Matth5
  • Like 1

I just want a DD that can take a mutt and enable me to drive from Whitby to the Hutt over the Haywards Hill everyday without putting me to sleep.

Happy to spend a bit on prev-maintenance but have practically zero ability to do anything myself. My brain says another BM is the last thing I should should get - but the head doesn't always rule lol... doesn't need to be a race/track car at all but nor would I want a 318.

The four cylinder bm's as mentioned are nothing but trouble e46 e90 etc  while the 6's are a slightly better option. The comments made by the two previous members should be a warning and more research needs to be done to get a clearer picture of what model will do what. If it is a daily driver you Whitby to the Hutt not a great distance to travel surely even a Honda, toyota, nissan would do it and for less cost per k and still take a trashing.

True Allan, but FWD is just that bit more boring... and the Japas aren't much to get too enthused about - unless I go Rex/Evo but I'm too old for a ricer; and had a 2 year old Evo 4 in the late 90's.

As Matt mentioned, a non-turbo six will probably be the ideal mix; 330 would be about right... unless I go completely left field again and scratch the HSV itch I've always had.

Will see what's around when I'm ready - and of course budget will have a bearing... it could be anywhere between 10 and 20k which is far too broad a span to seriously consider atm. I'm just bored to tears driving my Euro (great car it is for what it cost, admittedly).

Thanks for the advice/feedback :)

get an older one then....and budget for some money to get it to a point you are happy with....The older ones can do huge kms between big spends

• Like 1

I have an E91 325i wagon (6cyl) and it has given me trouble free motoring for a year. I wouldnt hesitate to recommend one as a daily driver as long as its well looked after (or buy mine! I want to drive my older, less comfortable 5 series and spend more money on maintenance!)

• Like 1