Sign in to follow this  
bekker

Wheel cleaner

Hi,

Has anybody used a wheel cleaner that actually does what they claim they can do?

I've tried many and have yet to find a single one that removes brake dust without alot of wheel scrubbing.

Any suggestions?

Cheers.

Meguiars Hot Wheels (purple bottle) works for me if I am lazy. By fat the best is a soft cloth and car wash solution. Mind you I only have a 10 spoke wheel only. Can't imagine someone has a basketweave doing this.

previously tried the other Meguiars (made the wheel finish cloudy), Shell (service station) stuff (too lame), Mothers (need a lot of scrub).

Guest Andrew

I found painting the wheel black sorted the problem -

it depends on the wheel finish - i wouldn't touch polished wheels or chrome with any wheel cleaners -

Anything acid based seems to work ok - spray on before you start washing (get wheel a bit wet) and then WATERblast off - hose won't do it.

Anyway - i use Formula 1 Wheel Gold.

i use a cloth and the carwash stuff,never there for more than a month tho.....My new wheels may be more of a challenge,basketwave and textured surface I wil be checking out the brush section at the supermarket i think

i use a cloth and the carwash stuff,never there for more than a month tho.....My new wheels may be more of a challenge,basketwave and textured surface I wil be checking out the brush section at the supermarket i think

Wax them before you put them on Paul....will make a world of difference when you come to clean them.

when im lazy i just spray with de-greaser and waterblast or hose off.

not perefect tho

and mine are a pain to clean....

post-8-1139822552.jpg

1 part liquid dynamo to 4 parts warm water. Put into spray bottle. Leave on wheels for a few minutes, wash off with soft cloth / car brush.

I use this to clean up the motorcycle and works better on wheels/rims than any wheel cleaner I've tried including BMW's own brand. Give it a try , I was suprised how well it worked.

what's Liquid Dynamo? How they look like? Where to get them?

Dynamo , the laundry clothes cleaner , get it from the supermarket.

Don't have a pic of BMW wheels after sorry ,but here's a pic of the motorcyle rim which normally gets covered in brake dust, road grime and chain lube.

HANDS!

and of course painting the wheel Brake Dust Grey

painting the wheel Brake Dust Grey

brilliant

I'm still using all the BMW cleaning stuff they gave me when I bought my car. However, I find, now that I've given my baskets a decent clean, all I really need is soapy water and my magwheel cleaning brush to keep them clean. I wash my car weekly.

IMO, once you have the wheels really clean, its easy as to keep them clean, but if you let the brake dust get settled in there - what a bastard of a job!

Found some stuff called 'Multi Super,' Its hospital grade stuff that we have at work, made by Johnson & Johnson, works a charm, spray it on give it a wipe with a wet cloth and the hose off any extra residue. You can use it for benchtops, ovens, engines anything really, even spray iy on your hands and wipe with a rag and they come up clean AND disinfected, ^_^ Not to sure bout getting it in the shops but never the less its awesome stuff :P

Even if you do a full clean on basketweeves, they are dirty later that week. I just use car wash and a sponge, do the rim and the face. I dont bother with inbetween spokes anymore. You'll never win for for than a day or two.