Sign in to follow this  
smithy

i changed my diff

Ian, i've always said theoretical top speed and have always pointed out that the aerodynamics are that of a brick, I honestly have no clue what my realistic top end is as I don't know of any private straights roads (edit) and personally I don't really care what my car can do, it's not a speed monster!

I haven't been on Puke but speedo readings at Manfeild just touch 160 and hit 135 at Taupo which really aren't majestical figures as opposed to Andy's 155 at Taupo and yet to be discovered Manfeild.

I would like to know what you'll get to at Manfeild, are you doing Intermarque this year Andy?

Edited by Carl

I feel like Im sitting in a pub :D

230 kph (BMW quoted)3.64 diff :P

Guest Andrew

I would like to know what you'll get to at Manfeild, are you doing Intermarque this year Andy?

May miss the first one - but will be there with bells on for the others.

Speedometer in my e36 318is goes up to 260km. Would my BMW ever been able to do that even when it was brand new? Because most jap cars speedos only go to 180km.

As above, With engine size and areodynamics of bricks, not likely!!

Even with my e46 328i its pushing it to get to 200 + k's ;)

Speedometer in my e36 318is goes up to 260km. Would my BMW ever been able to do that even when it was brand new? Because most jap cars speedos only go to 180km

Never. An E36 325 was quoted at 230km/h from memory and that would slaughter a 318is. Most Jap car speedos go to 180 as that is the legally mandated limit in Japan, my old Legacy was also quoted at 230km/h, but had a 180km speedo.

Seeing a car go fast enough that the speedo has gone passed the end of the dial is wicked

FYI, I have "Getaway Stockholm" 1 and 2 on DVD, now those cars are able to travel well in excess of 200kph comfortably :)

Edit: Suppose for those that don't know, they're real underground racers (RS2000 Cosworth turbo, 911 Turbo, Supra) escaping from the Swedish Police just for fun

Edited by Carl

Wound the old GSR sigma past the clock(200 kph).The needle was resting on the bottom of the cluster.Was probably still struggling to actualy do a true 200 kph.

Seeing a car go fast enough that the speedo has gone passed the end of the dial is wicked

FYI, I have "Getaway Stockholm" 1 and 2 on DVD, now those cars are able to travel well in excess of 200kph comfortably :)

Edit: Suppose for those that don't know, they're real underground racers (RS2000 Cosworth turbo, 911 Turbo, Supra) escaping from the Swedish Police just for fun

iv seen that race it is a killer man

Any stock manual 325 E30 will go over 200, whats the big deal??

Bounce it off the rev limiter in top gear with stock 3.64 diff and your going around 215.

Huh? Is that with a 1:1 5th sport box?

I've got a 3.64 diff and my top end is well and truly over that, looks to be around 250. The 4.45 diff has a top speed of 205.

0.81 x 3.64 (std OD fifth gear x diff ratio) =2.9484

So @ 6000 rpm your rear wheels are turning @ 2035 rpm or 122100 revs per hour

122100 X 0.001795420202 (wheel revs per hour x tyre circ. in Km)

=219Km/h

Top speed with 4.45:1 is only around 180 give or take a few km for different tyre diameter or rev limit variations etc from car to car

Graeme, I have a s/s somewhere which really details all this except I can't locate it, when I do i'll email it to you

Haha, I need the spreadsheet because I like seeing pretty little graphs, i'm a visual person :lol:

Download this spreadsheet, I think it will confirm both of what we've said, I assume that one could think of theoretical top end as opposed to the realistic 1:1 top speed.

You'll have to rename the file to remove the .avi extension

Ratios.xls.avi