Sign in to follow this  
danutt

It BROKE please help...

my cars a 318i automatic e30 the gearbox now only gets reverse and hardly moves forward just revs wats happened and how much too fix?

wat could i get done to fix it?and what other options could i consider? i know manual would be good but its too expensive...than kyou for ne help :D

i have an 4spd auto from 89 320i low k's .

also have manual gearbox from 94 318ti .

what year is your car .

is it a M40 engine.

call me

021433600 or email retrah1@wave.co.nz

firstly would pay to check your transmission fluid if you havent already done so.

Recond' gearbox I believe costs something along the lines of $1000+

Otherwise you could find another sl-auto box for around $3-4 hundy from some wrecker but then u gotta pay for installation on top.

Ring up your mechanic and see who they would recommend to take a look at it and give you the verdict.

Realistically if your ever gonna think about doing a manual conversion, now would be the most practical time to do it. Grab a manual gearbox conversion kit for $400-500 odd and around $150 worth of brand new parts. Not really too expensive, quite possibly your cheaper option ... and im sure people around here would be willing to help you if you provided the drink.

Edited by E30stz

manual swap

if you buy another auto, you're the gay

yea ok the manual swap is sounding better all of a sudden but first

i had it looked at by a guy who works on bmw and he sed take the torque converter out and replace it with one hes got to check if thats not the problem also take the filter out clean it and replace the fluid but as far as i can tell the fluid is full???

how much all up conversion to manual?

approx $450 for gearbox conversion kit, $70 for new gearknob / shift boot, theres a piece that goes on your diff that you'll have to price up.. should be less than $100, new bushings if you want.

Then add labour on top of that, whether you get someoen to help or pay someone to do it.

if you buy another auto, you're the gay

isnt it if you buy another bmw?...

:thumb: :jap:

Andy - those prices re: man. conv. are only if you do it on the cheap - if you do it properly i.e. new clutch pressure plate and throw-out bearing, resurfaced flywheel - associated bolts, new rubber driveshaft coupling, new bushings, recond or new slave and master cyl. etc you're looking at well over a grand for parts incl. the 'box and conv. kit.

If you don't do it properly don't complain if your clutch needs replacing and your gearbox has to come out agin in a few months.

Saying that - it is still a much better idea than putting another auto in.

I have one for sale BTW if you want one.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

best thing that could have happened to an e36. Possibly worth more once the manual is in?

Andy - those prices re: man. conv. are only if you do it on the cheap - if you do it properly i.e. new clutch pressure plate and throw-out bearing, resurfaced flywheel - associated bolts, new rubber driveshaft coupling, new bushings, recond or new slave and master cyl. etc you're looking at well over a grand for parts incl. the 'box and conv. kit.

If you don't do it properly don't complain if your clutch needs replacing and your gearbox has to come out agin in a few months.

Saying that - it is still a much better idea than putting another auto in.

I have one for sale BTW if you want one.

you got a manual box culd you organise the parts id need to get the gearbox in and working and take a little off the top for yourself id get it put in im not looking to put a new clutch in and all dat id take it out agen if i had too but i need the car back on the road so how much for the box and parts if possible??

I have an auto one is what I meant. There are manual ones on trademe and E30stz has a full conv. kit but I don't know if it's for sale.

If it is fo sale, then you could get all the parts (except a new clutch) for around $800 or so. There is a thread on here if you search regarding the swap, how to do it and what parts you need. It's a sticky in maintenance or performance I think.

ok so 800 thats the box and conv parts...if i had a little help putting it in then of i go?

Exactly the same thing happened to my car, would reverse but just rev out in drive gears. I looked at reconditioning the auto, buying a new auto etc, couldnt be bothered, just did the manual swap. Best thing i ever did.

ok so 800 thats the box and conv parts...if i had a little help putting it in then of i go?

Pretty much. These things always cost more than you budget for, but if you budget a grand and use secondhand clutch etc and you find someone to help you put it in, then you will probably end up with some over.

Mine cost me $1800 including new clutch and quite a few tools that I was short. Also the conv. kits seemed to cost more back then too. Mine was $750 and although not the cheapest it wasn't the most expensive either.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

had it looked at and diagnosed and it could be a damaged torque converter so im going to check that out first...but if someone here knows someone with a manual gearbox etc please contact me and let me know the price etc

dnutt33@hotmail.com

thank you :mosh:

does sum1 have a replacement gearbox thatl work??

please contact me

thanx

no - sorry I didn't even check to see what model e30 you had danutt. My auto won't fit either although the torque converters may be the same?

You will need a 'box from a 4cyl e30 NOT a 6cyl.

:bounce: Bro its jus thaT UR automatic transmission is stuffed.very common after the kar has been thrashed.u need a new converter!!!straight up.dnt know what these other peeps talking bout.but yes cheapest to get a new box!!! :bounce:

straight up.dnt know what these other peeps talking bout

funny that .. most of the time we have no idea what your on about either :). Kar is spelt Car with a Sea Edited by E30stz

murks:you reckon its a converter problem because that would be great as i can organise one for cheap and put it in myself has this happened to you before and that was the problem ??

someone also mentioned my forward gear clutches could be screwed

i revved up in neutral and dropped it in drive a few times but it didnt seem to feel like it was being damaged used to shift it manualy tho and i didnt rev it all the way out wen i dropped it??

murks:you reckon its a converter problem because that would be great as i can organise one for cheap and put it in myself has this happened to you before and that was the problem ??

i revved up in neutral and dropped it in drive a few times but it didnt seem to feel like it was being damaged used to shift it manualy tho and i didnt rev it all the way out wen i dropped it??

neutral drops are the win

kids: auto boxes do not like being raped. learn it.

Guest Andrew

Would put money clutch packs are rooted - you need a new gearbox.

I also learnt this lesson the hard way when I was 16 with my auto 318.

Expensive lesson on how not to treat your auto.

You have two options.

Option 1: Pull out the torque converter and put a new one in. Cost prob around the $300-400 mark or do it yourself for a few hours labour and the cost of a torque converter. If it fixes it, you're lucky. IF the 'box is knackered then add $400 - $500 for a new box and another couple of hundy labour to install it.

Option 2: Manual conversion as above - cost you maybe another $300 or so on top of the cost of fixing the auto but worth every penny.

Haha, yea i think every 16 year old with a BMW has this problem, get it manual, you will never regret it.... :P