Sign in to follow this  
qube

E46 transmission fluid change

Looking to replace the fluid in the auto trans in my e46 and wondering what i can get from repco or sca?

Penrite? Which one? 
castrol atf dex 3?

how much will i need?

I THINK my car has the ZF auto how do i check?

Cheers

If its the ZF then Penrite ATF FS is what ive used

Don't know anything about the GM but ive never seen on 6 cylinder cars here in NZ. Jacking it up and looking for the transmission build plate would confirm.

The ID plate is on the L/H side of the transmission

Waste of time and money just changing the oil Kyu. You should be changing the pan gasket and filter as well. Check for fault codes and clear any adaptions.

Edited by B.M.W Ltd
  • Like 1

Just on the topic of transmissions... 

I've read a bit about the "Jatco Jerk" for Japanese import cars so fitted.  Any updated opinion on what to do about it?  Mine doesn't seem too bad and I'm leaning towards living with it...  And what Oil does it take?  And are gaskets and filters readily available?  The procedure to change oil seems a bit awkward...

Cheers and apologies for jumping in Kyu.. but it seemed an OK topic type...

Jatco Jerk was and E36 issue

• Like 1

On 5/2/2020 at 11:30 AM, qube said:

Looking to replace the fluid in the auto trans in my e46 and wondering what i can get from repco or sca?

Penrite? Which one? 
castrol atf dex 3?

how much will i need?

I THINK my car has the ZF auto how do i check?

Cheers

How did you get on with this? As others have said, it's not worth doing it without doing the filter and pan gasket also. That said, at the age these cars are now...I'd check the colour of the fluid before changing it...if it's really really dark/black (due to neglect) I'd be inclined to just leave it until it dies as it's probably too late and changing it does run a real risk of causing slipping etc. 

I had the pleasure of rebuilding my ZF box back in 2013 as the reverse gear G Drum blew up in typical fashion...in the second pick you can see the metal shards from the broken G drum. :D:D

This was a ZF 5HP19 on a E46 2001 330i . 

The procedure is a pain as there will unavoidably be many many (5 litres) perhaps trapped in the torque converter when you do this with the trans on the vehicle. You'll need some kind of pump to pump the new transmission oil in through the oil cooler hole too once you replace the filter and gasket and bolt everything back up. 

IMG_20131102_124755.jpg

IMG_20131109_133624.jpg

IMG_20141101_151455.jpg