Sign in to follow this  
familyman

325 fuel usage

:o I am a new BMW owner and I love it, but I am only getting 6-7 kms per litre out of car. The thermostat was broken so that was fixed(slight improvement on usage). I drive the car as economical as possible but cannot get any more than 6.8 kms litre. Forgive my ignorance on some of my questions. It is not leaking fuel IE: no smell,no visual sign. It appears I am losing it while car is sitting or just at idling speed. is the km/litre gauge fairly accurate ?, when at idle should the gauge be off screen(no kms per litre)? I drive it as careful as possible to get better usage, the gauge reads 11-13 kms litre on open road. I have had car serviced etc by BMW mechanic, he can't work out why consumption is so high. Car performs really well , so I am stumped. Does anybody have any answers ????

Cheers

Wayne

Automatic?

How are you taking that figure, is that the average trip consumption or you calculating from kms when fillng up?

Round town driving is not very economical for a start, sounds like your open road is normal.

I've got same year in auto

50 litres gets me 340km around town

and about 500 open road, I dont drive economically as I have a company fuel card

but now I'm just bragging, but it doesnt look like you are too far off the mark

Thanks guys, it seems like usage is fairly normal for an Automatic. I don't do many long trips, only to and from work Upper Hutt to Seaview. It just seemed to be a bit too much.

Cheers

hi , i have a 92 325i coupe auto ( at the moment) i am getting about 450-500km per tank 60litres .

its worse than my 1986 M535i 5spd with 478000km on the clock .

can get 11.5litres per 100km around town driving and about 9l per 100km on a trip .

auto's = lots of wasted fuel .

The gauge reads L/100km doesn't it?

So that's 6-7L per 100km, not 6-7L per km (massive difference!)

If it shows 6-7L it's pretty good.

Best car I ever had I could get down to 5 by driving very carefully (and it was a Fiat Tipo).

6-7L/100km is pretty good for a BMW, most big cars use around 10 to 12L/100km

Jochen

6-7L/100km is pretty good for a BMW, most big cars use around 10 to 12L/100km

I think he got his number by diving the fuel topped up by the km travelled.

6-7km/litre is a bit on the low side I guess...

Chart shows my fuel consumption for the last year.

post-6-1145010395.gif

I drive a 1994 325i Automatic and average 7.92km per litre. I put $50 in her each week and get about 250km out of it. I drive 36km each day in traffic but slip it into sports mode and give it some sh*t where possible so 7.92k/litre isn't too bad I guess. By comparison, my 2.0L Toyota Celica manual averaged 10km per litre.

depends on how you drive it....

I went through a WHOLE tank in ONE day..... that one day was the first day I got my car.... i wasn't driving with much interest in fuel consumption.

The gauge reads L/100km doesn't it?

No some do, others read the other way (km/L)

The 320 gets about 8 km/l or 12 L/100km.

Trying a different diff ratio ATM and preliminary results show 10km/L or 10L/100km.

(Open road figures)

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

I get my usage by dividing kms driven by litres put in at every fill (the only way to accurately work out usage per km). My usage gauge reads kms per litre. I love driving car so the price you pay for enjoyment.

Thanks for replies