Sign in to follow this  
Weraiti

2008 550i Tracing Oil leaks

Hello

I have a 2008 550i done 91k

I have owned for a couple of years and recently completed service. My mechanic who is very good but not a bimmer expert gave me the following notes:

"Find engine oil, power steering and/or trans oil

Looks to be coming from the tappet covers and oil pressure sender unit??

And high pressure power steering hose

And maybe tarns cooler hoses"

He has suggested I find a BMW tech to advise about common faults for a 550i of that age.

Be grateful for your sage advice

Cheers

Edited by Weraiti

It's more likely to be oil than trans or ps fluid because, well BMW.

Tracing it's a matter of cleaning it up real well, top and bottom (car in the air) and then running it and checking for new oil (or fluids) frequently.

Modern BMW's seem to be designed to leak oil, or at least BMW doesn't care if they do, so don't be too alarmed.

3 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Modern BMW's seem to be designed to leak oil, or at least BMW doesn't care if they do, so don't be too alarmed.

Basically a British car these days. All leak. 

9 minutes ago, KwS said:

Basically a British car these days. All leak. 

Mine doesn't *for now*.

Does drink it though ?

• Like 1

Not sure if "just done 91k" was said in a way to suggest "only" 91ks..

Cuz thats more than enough for a 4.8L V8 engine in a 12 year old BMW to develop some issues.

I had a quick look on google for common leak issues and plenty came up. It could be anything. Best thing to do if the leak is not bad is get it booked at a BMW mechanic to properly diagnose where your issue is coming from and get that sorted. They should also be able to advise you what else needs or will need attention.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Tracing it's a matter of cleaning it up real well, top and bottom (car in the air) and then running it and checking for new oil (or fluids) frequently.

Thanks.

I will try not get too worried - I just enjoy driving her and want to keep doing it.

@Qube - Thanks. I did call Page European in Wellington earlier today. They will give it a look and run diagnostics for $180

On 8/21/2020 at 6:18 PM, M3AN said:

Always worth spending time tracking these sources yourself as sometimes you can be looking at a $12 gasket and a 15 minute job to fix...

At this age and KMs, it's time for valve cover gaskets will likely be leaking, this is just par for the course with BMW. 

Also the N62 has a that silly vac pump design with the big rubber seal that starts to leak. It's a cheap job fortunately. 

Leaks from the bottom of the engine can be from the oil sender gasket or the sump pan gasket. Also I've seen the main seals leak from the front and rear and look like it's the pan gasket. 

I don't know how the VANOS seals are on these engines...but again, it's another typical source of leakage. 

The other culprit can be the oil housing gasket (not the round one on the filter cap but where the metal housing attaches to the block). On many engines this is above the powersteering/oil cooler hoses and such and is often mistaken for power steering fluid. 

TBH...I never understand how mechs confuse oil and power steering fluid leaks as its horrible stuff. 

• Like 1