Sign in to follow this  
Brianr70

130i question

On the dash the got the warning triangle up and on the I drive message says increased battery discharge?? car had been sitting for a week - would that may a difference?

Get it scanned is the only real way to see whats up

I was impressed to see that the e8x has this function, plugging it in to a computer will only tell you the size of the "increased discharge" but not what's causing it.

It might not be a big problem Brian, I'd clear the code, charge the battery and see if it comes back.

Strange ...the fault now disappeared...when started the car this morning fault was there...drove 2kms..turned off ignition ...3 mins later started car fault gone ?? Think will need to monitor situation. ?

1 hour ago, Brianr70 said:

Strange ...the fault now disappeared...when started the car this morning fault was there...drove 2kms..turned off ignition ...3 mins later started car fault gone ?? Think will need to monitor situation. ?

I would get the battery tested. That's usually all that causes this warning. How old is the battery?

I believe the battery is less than 12 months old

1 hour ago, Brianr70 said:

I believe the battery is less than 12 months old

Was it registered to the car when installed?

No, previous owner installed new battery about 12 months ago when old one failed.

Charge the battery overnight with a good quality multi stage charger, then register the battery. Registering it resets the power management in the DME. Then see how it goes.

Thanks - to the uneducated how do I do register the battery thing?

It can only be done with a scan tool or laptop with diagnostic software on it, like ISTA or INPA. If you have one of these cars it's a good idea to have at least one of these, preferably ISTA as it's what the dealers use. If you're not DIY inclined I'm sure your mechanic could do it for you.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brianr70 said:

It's just as likely to be intermittent as it is permanent really. Something is using a larger amount of power than it should when the car is sleeping, it could be a anything really, do you have an aftermarket alarm (are they still a thing?) or any aftermarket entertainment equipment?

See if you can find somebody close to you in Welly with the BMW software that can do a free scan for you (rather than $60 - $120 at a shop) and when/if the code code pops up again don't clear it but get the computer read. That will tell you how much excessive power is being drawn and how often it's happened (since the codes were last cleared). That will indicate the size of the problem you're facing.

no after market alarm or audio...will get a scan done and a battery check :)

If it hasnt been registered weird stuff can happen, as it predicts the batteries performance. Could 100% be causing the fault, ive even seen a fire apparently caused by not registering a battery(!!)

Most of the OBD2 apps can do it, must be someone in Welly you can hit up. Failing that a BMW independent workshop will be able to do it in about 2 minutes. 

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 2

I've had a battery die, had to keep charging it as I would get stuck if left doors open too long, etc. Never got this light appear that you speak of but I replaced the battery about a year ago and never got it coded (on the advice of a long time 130i owner). Have had no issues since. Warranty is only 2 years on the things anyway.

I wonder if its gone from an AGM (as most LCIs are) to a standard lead acid, and without registration it'll be very confused. 

Had scan done ...see attached....and battery check showed as weak so it looks like a new battery is required .

20201007_163502.jpg

@promo might be the man for this

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jacko said:

@promo might be the man for this

im based in wellington - 027 4444 233 - Free scans for everyone :)

Edited by promo
  • Thanks 1