Steveo1

E90 Passenger seat occupancy sensor

Hi All, does any one know a good place to source 1 of these for a fair price?

They seem to fail often and don't like fitting a bypass module

thanks in advance Steveo

Why not fit a bypass? Your car (E90) will be written off if 1 airbag fires, no additional harm if two fire.

A bypass just means that the passenger airbag will fire regardless of whether there is a passenger, that's all.

Don't pay the silly ~$60+ price people are asking, it shouldn't cost you more than $30, I think mine was US$12.

A bypass on the E36 is a diode and 2 resistors. About 90c worth. Try googling...

• Like 1

Is a bypass legal to do in nz? I have this problem and can’t get a wof but don’t want to spend $1000 to replace the mat. I read on another forum that a bypass is illegal but not sure if that’s factual.

31 minutes ago, Slammoth said:

Is a bypass legal to do in nz? I have this problem and can’t get a wof but don’t want to spend $1000 to replace the mat. I read on another forum that a bypass is illegal but not sure if that’s factual.

Bypass has to be certed in NZ I believe. The occupancy sensor light can just be coded out, no bypass needed. That's what I have on my M3 since my bucket seats don't have an occupancy sensor. 

47 minutes ago, Harper said:

Bypass has to be certed in NZ I believe. The occupancy sensor light can just be coded out, no bypass needed. That's what I have on my M3 since my bucket seats don't have an occupancy sensor. 

Thanks mate, how much was it to get your sensor coded out and where did you get this done/what sort of places would do this?

I think you'll spend near as much on coding and a cert as just doing the mat? I did one on my E36 (paid to have the job done) and it wasn't anywhere near 1k (more like @$500 iirc) but your milage may vary.

On 12/20/2022 at 5:05 PM, Slammoth said:

Thanks mate, how much was it to get your sensor coded out and where did you get this done/what sort of places would do this?

Did it myself, loads of guides if you search for it. Takes a few minutes in NCSexpert and free, no cert required. Just need a laptop, K+DCAN cable and INPA/NCSexpert

Edited by Harper

High there, I have added in a bypass but the seat belt light keeps coming on to say someone is in the seat obvuosly. I do not have any teck to be able to clear this and someone that did have a diagnostic tool didn;t know how to do it. Does any one have a name or phone number of someone in Auckland that can do this please? 

Most automotive workshops should have a scan tool capable of that