Sign in to follow this  
qube

Did a stupid thing..

So... we’ve got a mini with the N14 engine and the dipstick wasn’t reading accurately (its a common issue and a design flaw).

We (my old man and I) thought it would be a genius idea to attach a bit of rag to a long metal wire and “clean” the channel.

It worked and I was able to get an accurate reading but then my dad tried to clean it again and the bit of cloth fell off

I assume it will be floating around in the sump/oil pan..

Is there anywhere else it could have “exited” it’s journey whilst going down the tube?

I am not sure how the internals of the engine design is after the 20cm bit of tube that sticks out from the engine.

If I leave it there (assuming its in the pan).. what are the potential issues?  Will it block the oil pump?

I am thinking I will try to drain the oil and see if it magically appears in the little hole and I can pinch it out. If not will probably have to drop the pan and find it then replace the gasket (not a bad thing to do anyway).

Argh, what was supposed to be a routine oil level check turned into a disaster.....

It should have ended up in the bottom of the sump (as this is usually there the dip stick tube ends), but has the potential to block the pickup. I wouldnt run the engine until it was removed. Drain the oil, if you cant get at it, drop the pan. 

Edit: if you didnt poke the dip stick right down afterwards you might get lucky by unbolting and removing the dip stick tube

Edited by KwS

Pan removal seems to be the go.

It’s definitely in there deep.

Just out of curiosity if you know the answer, what does it look like after the first “part” of the dipstick tube?

does it have an internal tube that runs down inside the engine down to the sump?

Drained the oil then dropped the oil pan.. its not there F**K

where the hell could it be?

• Haha 1

Strange. Im not familiar with where the tube ends on those engines, can you see the end of it if you look up into the block?

Sounds like you need bore scope with a hook. Maybe its in the tube but hard to say unless you know the engines.

• Thanks 1

As Kelvin says above, remove the dipstick tube, that would have been the first thing I did.

With the sump cover removed can you not see the dipstick and/or tube from the bottom?

Edited by M3AN

Found it. Opened the valve cover. Was in the timing chain area..

plus side is can do new vcg and sump gasket now its open anyway. Yay