Sign in to follow this  
dimsim

E87 CCC iDrive Repair?

My E87 130i (10/2006) has just started the tedious BMW logo reboot loop. Apparently due to insufficient cooling the BGA chip needs to be reflowed?

Has anyone had this repair carried out here? or can recommend someone that is good with chip reflowing that might be able to help?

I understand these are coded to the car so would prefer to have this repaired rather then buy a used unit that might possibly suffer the same fate.

I guess also i could change it out for an Andrioid unit but assume ill loose the other function of the CC like maintenance intervals, clock adjustment etc etc

Yeah contact @promo

He will be able to do this for you no worries.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, dimsim said:

I guess also i could change it out for an Andrioid unit but assume ill loose the other function of the CC like maintenance intervals, clock adjustment etc etc

My Android unit retains full CCC compatibility FWIW.

34 minutes ago, M3AN said:

My Android unit retains full CCC compatibility FWIW.

Hey thanks for the info... was that for your E87? Can you give me details on your Android unit? Ideally I was think about going for an Apple Carplay retrofit unit and replacing the flip up display etc...

1 hour ago, dimsim said:

Hey thanks for the info... was that for your E87? Can you give me details on your Android unit? Ideally I was think about going for an Apple Carplay retrofit unit and replacing the flip up display etc...

I have an Avin USA 10.25" dash-top unit: https://avinusa.com/10-25-multimedia-navigation-system-for-bmw-1-series-e81-e82-e87-e88.html and yes, for my E87. 

There are many brands, they're all clones. If you go down this route then make sure you get an Android 10+ unit with min 4GB RAM and an external microphone is recommended.

The CCC display just presents on the new screen, button and wheel work to navigate on both the CCC screens and the Android screens if you want to use that (touch screen is easier). The only thing that doesn't really integrate well is AM/FM radio... they still work but you need to go back to the CCC system to set channels etc. 

21 hours ago, M3AN said:

I have an Avin USA 10.25" dash-top unit: https://avinusa.com/10-25-multimedia-navigation-system-for-bmw-1-series-e81-e82-e87-e88.html and yes, for my E87. 

There are many brands, they're all clones. If you go down this route then make sure you get an Android 10+ unit with min 4GB RAM and an external microphone is recommended.

The CCC display just presents on the new screen, button and wheel work to navigate on both the CCC screens and the Android screens if you want to use that (touch screen is easier). The only thing that doesn't really integrate well is AM/FM radio... they still work but you need to go back to the CCC system to set channels etc. 

I will second the Avin units. Mine has been good.  I have one on m E82. It's important to keep in mind that a working CCC *is* needed for the system to work. If you intend to use the bluetooth hands free you will need to install the external mic. Also if you want to hear the Android sat nav voices while using the CCC AM/FM then you'll need to fit the silly external speaker under the dash or something too.  I'd also recommend using the supplied GPS antenna from the get go also, I had nothing but aggro with the splitter feed from my 'shark fin'....it just seemed very temperamental. 

@promo

are you able to help at all with this type of repair?

bump.... @promo

Edited by dimsim