Sign in to follow this  
jharry

Advice: Hold on to E91 or get F30?

Hi. 

Warning long story ahead.

Looking for advice as I keep going around in circles. 

I have an 2005 325i E91 wagon which I got about 5 years ago. It was an import from Japan with 80k on the clock. Non msport so has wood dash (wrapped it in matte black vinyl). It came with full service history and I've kept up the maintenance since. It has 135000 now.  It has had a few issues. Water pump went and rear bearings and the odd other thing along the way so I feel I've pumped a bit of $$$ into it but I have no regrets as it has been and still is a great car.  

But....

I feel like I held on to my previous car too long. It was a E36 325i. Many things started failing and I spent a lot of time and money on keeping it alive untill I eventually sold it for scrap.  I don't want repeat that mistake. I love BMWs but I'm a busy man and not particularly mechanical so need a car that doesn't require me to open the hood. But happy to pay the price of owning and maintaining a quality car.

So....

Do I hold on to it and suck up the cost of maintenance....will it fall apart like my E36? Can I wait a few years and go hybrid? 330e or something.

Or should I get an f30.

Considering a GT as a compromise between looks and practicality as Mrs won't let me get coupe/sedan.

Will it feel like enough if an upgrade to justify spending 25k minus whatever I get for my wagon?

Test drove a 320d f30 msport wagon at that price point and it was nice enough but didn't seem like a massive upgrade and I think E90 wagons are better looking. 

Included pic of my current ride.

Any advice appreciated 🙂.

IMG_20210609_152113.jpg

Welcome @jharry - the price gap between your E91 and an F31 320d will pay for a lot of maintenance / fuel (would guess you'll get 6-7ish for your current car). The N52 in your car is a sound engine - esp once electric water pump has been replaced. You could replace the suspension on yours for $1500ish and will drive like a new one.

OTOH the F3x generation is probably a bit safer and the 320d will be very good on fuel (maybe 5.5-6L/100k combined running). The f3x Gran Turismo model looks gash (IMO) so I'd definitely keep your E91 if that were the alternative, the Gran Coupe on the other hand looks OK but possibly out of budget.

Hi ya Jason. I am going to start of with a yarn about a grand uncle who was a self employed sales rep, and bought new cars every 2-3 years, his rationale was that he couldn't afford to spend the time on sudden repairs, beyond the standard servicing schedule. so the second it needed anything major ( water pump/radiator/ belts) he sold them. 

My gut feel is to move the car on while it still has some value to it, especially since time is of the essence here. 

The only issue is if you were to get an 6 or so year old F3*, you will be coming up to similar issues with the wear and tear items, except you will be driving a car that is "worth" spending the money on.  https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/320i/new-listing/3075362349?bof=wbGF0k7Z

It won't stack up financially if that's what you are worried about.  The only cars that do are those at the bottom and near the top of the price curves.

If you want a newer car, get a newer car.  Otherwise spend ya 15 grand on a nice TV, or a jetski or home renovations or something.

Edited by GorGasm

Thanks for your thoughts. Appreciate it.  Got a service at the BMW dealership yesterday and they tell me my car is all good. Which doesn't help make up my mind. But at least the car probably won't be worthless in the next 6 months.

Think the problem is the upgrade I want will cost a touch over $30k not $25. Which I can   stretch to, just need to recalibrate my thinking.   Hoping that will get me a tidy 420i/428i gran coupe. 

Cheers

Put some wheels that actually look good on your current car and be done with it, it will feel like a new car every time you walk up to it, it's amazing what nice wheels will do to a car. And N52, enough said. Keep the $25k+ change and be smug.

nice, good call on the F10. they can be great modern cars for less money than the equivalent f30.