Sign in to follow this  
Ghost Chip

E36 Viscous fan + clutch

Does anyone have a fan + clutch for a m52 that they’re willing to part with? Trying to avoid my overheating problems. Closer to Auckland the better.

Also unsure if these come with a shroud or not. If it does then would be keen on that as well

Cheers!

• Like 1

If it's a Japanese import (high ambient temp coolant system) then you shouldn't the clutch fan to keep temps under control in Auckland's climate unless you're constantly stuck in traffic on hot days. I run my M3 without clutch fan or shroud and did the same on my 328. The aux fan should be well enough. Not saying you shouldn't get one, just don't think you should need one.

Under what circumstances is the car overheating?

Oh, just when idling for too long. Found out that the electric fan is not working so will need to re-wire it - unsure at the moment what went wrong with the wiring (problem when someone else built it). Will be pulling out the engine at some point so that’s when I’m planning to put in the viscous fan as I saw that it’s better than an electric fan (unless you upgrade to an expensive one?)

For reference this is for a m52 e30 by the way

I've not heard of a fan clutch causing overheating before. Usually when they fail they just over spin (i.e. don't clutch / fail safe)

18 minutes ago, Blackie said:

I've not heard of a fan clutch causing overheating before. Usually when they fail they just over spin (i.e. don't clutch / fail safe)

Oh nah, the car doesn’t have one at the moment. It’s relying on an electric fan that was wired wrong so it’s not turning on.

3AFD4B70-7C94-41B0-9872-10BBE14EA084.jpeg

03E18054-2863-42AA-A463-A8DA2939E7C6.jpeg

Yep, sorry, thought it was a stock e36 setup, ignore my comments above!

Yeah, that's a tiny aux fan... but I suppose the size doesn't matter if it's not working, Clutch fan sounds like a good idea.

14 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Yep, sorry, thought it was a stock e36 setup, ignore my comments above!

Yeah, that's a tiny aux fan... but I suppose the size doesn't matter if it's not working, Clutch fan sounds like a good idea.

Sorry to ask what may be a dumb question but apart from the obvious, what makes it different? Is it just because the aux fan on the stock e36 is bigger?

And yup it’s a very tiny fan. It does work but just wired wrong so it’s not actually getting power to the fan

Edited by Ghost Chip

11 minutes ago, Ghost Chip said:

Sorry to ask what may be a dumb question but apart from the obvious, what makes it different? Is it just because the aux fan on the stock e36 is bigger?

I'm not sure I actually understand your question sorry, what makes what different? I originally meant your setup is not a stock (warm climate) e36 setup, I had incorrectly assumed it was.

18 hours ago, M3AN said:

I'm not sure I actually understand your question sorry, what makes what different? I originally meant your setup is not a stock (warm climate) e36 setup, I had incorrectly assumed it was.

Oh what I meant was that what particularly would make your comment earlier negligible now that you found out that it isn’t actually a stock setup.

8 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Removing the viscous fan. We all assumed you already had one but it had failed?

Ahh gotcha.

Anyway, back on topic. Would appreciate it if anyone has a viscous fan + clutch + shroud

• Like 1

Yes, Japanese size radiator, viscous fan, standard aux fan (the stock pusher is very high volume).

If you can't get a clutch fan I'd get a bigger aux fan and use a lower temp fan switch. 

• Like 2

Pretty sure you won't be able to install a factory viscous fan clutch and fan. Mine wouldn't fit in my e30, and everyone on the internet has them removed as not enough clearance

Yeah, I have tried to squeeze a viscous fan on my m52 swap, and would have had 2mm clearance with the radiator, and was concerned that under heavy braking on the track that they'd end up touching.

Install would have involved removing the radiator, installing the fan, and then reinstalling the radiator. 

Some people have somehow made it work. 

But I, like most, have a 16in electric pusher fan on the radiator which works well. 

• Like 1

I think some people have made it fit. This is a photo of one that I saw on FB. Car was in the last caffeine and classics I think.

CBB73FCA-C044-42AD-85B8-4661F305B595.jpeg

Hope he's got good engine mounts... not sure I'd be comfortable with that setup myself.

I dont really see why you would risk it and go a viscous fan. A decent sized radiator in there or an electric fan on the front is the better solution