Sign in to follow this  
GorGasm

Black Car Care

Having a black car is a pain at the best of times and I have had too many of them.  But my current has the additional issue of road rash everywhere under the half way line as everything gets picked up and smashed all over the side of the car with parts of the car in the line of fire looking grey, it's that bad.  It has annoyed me for quite some time as it looks nasty up close or in full daylight.  So I thought I would give a black car polish a try and purchased Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Black Liquid Polish.  I gave it a go today and damn, the results are fantastic.  You can almost forget the rash is there anymore!

Results speak for themselves but additional benefits over amazing rash coverage:

1. Easy to moderate effort to apply and remove.
  2. Cheap.  Cost me $20 as it was on special, and I got a voucher.
  3. Good slickness.
  4. Good shine and depth.
  5. Doesn't dust white or leave white residue like a lot of other polishes, which is super annoying on a black car.
  6. Can be used on black plastic trim, it restored my mirror arms to black from the grey they were.

Will see how long it holds up and I might go over it with Meguiars ceramic wax one day, or I might just use this alone, or team it with the Turtle spray wax.  There's probably better products for depth and slickness but for what it has achieved in my scenario it gets a solid A.  I'd recommend to anyone with a black car.

IMG_3750.JPG

IMG_3756.JPG

IMG_3761.JPG

Edited by GorGasm
  • Like 4

I can back up the recommendation on the Turtle Tax Ceramic Black Polish. Had always been a Meguiar's person for car polishers but I gave the Turtle Wax product a try and it worked really well on my 540i. I find Meguiar's polish leaves a lot of polish dust which is really annoying if you are polishing an entire vehicle. 

I had a particularly nasty scratch on my passenger rear door which the polish has darkened to the point where it is virtually un-noticeable unless it is pointed out. I also coated my car with three layers of the Turtle Wax Ceramic Black hybrid wax. Haven't washed my car since its polish but when I do I will use the black car wash product (although I'm not sure how useful it will be given the car has been fully polished and coated). 

Before:

4529F866-28A4-4A85-90B6-0456CAB8605B.jpeg

After:

4CCA135E-F733-4461-A556-509D0A913A97.jpeg

1B2CF4E2-A3D5-4988-A265-8895E6F3673E.jpeg

Edited by Kees
  • Like 2

Nice, your pics show the effect a bit better.  It doesn't fix everything but it does a damn good job of hiding it.

Edited by GorGasm
  • Like 1

Results look fantastic! Also own a black car and paint is in a very sorry state, lots and lots of swirl marks with a few dull spots too, how did you apply this polish? By hand or with a polishing machine? Would like to give this a go on my car.

Mine was done by hand.  Not sure how well it will work on swirling, you might need something a little more aggressive or a machine polisher to clear that up first.

The turtle black just seems to be great at hiding the pitting in black paint. 

• Like 2

A lot to be said for fillers if you 'wax' often I reckon, it's not cool, but it works. Gonna give this a go as I have the same road rash issue. 

I'm probably 13 years in on black car ownership and a full polish is just too time consuming sometimes. 

• Like 1

I hear you man, even if I want to I don't have the time to polish my car anymore.  I just took mine out of the garage so the rain can give it a wash, it's covered in bugs and other filth.

The turtle black stuff does wash off pretty quick but oh well I still think it's worth doing.

• Like 1

Put a layer of the Turtle Wax Ceramic Black on the daily. Definitely made a big difference when I used the polishing machine on the bonnet. Early days, but I’d recommend on a black car. Would not recommend a black car as a daily 😒

Tempted to do another coat and apply a ceramic coat over it to help it last.

D2A9DD16-850B-4CA4-85B1-745A9EF43083.thumb.jpeg.35c482a3f4d2274d608f8c6fccf5321a.jpeg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, str8_6 said:

Tempted to do another coat and apply a ceramic coat over it to help it last

I did a couple coats on my 540 in October and the paint is still glossy and hydrophobic. One thing I've heard recently is to keep the coating on for as long as possible you should use a pH neutral car wash. I think Autoglym and Meguairs have pH neutral options. I had been using a generic Turtle Wax car wash but I will be switching to something pH neutral. 

16 hours ago, m325i said:

four circle marks

Just reminded me I did a polish and ceramic coating on my old S8 when I had it with the Turtle Wax Ceramic Black products. 

Photos are a bit rubbish but man the Turtle Wax stuff does a slick job. 

7CDE1017-D639-466D-8375-38C1120F5B2D.thumb.jpeg.0467544ce0b5499f3e08b64c309f25eb.jpeg27A13E73-236C-465D-A5A3-DCF863E0D11C.thumb.jpeg.30de7fd30c38ea28f8a4de3a096bfb7b.jpeg 

Edited by Kees
  • Like 1

Nice.  Tempted to try the black spray wax, but it's a bit pricey.  Also I think it's possible that adding another coating on top of the black wax might actually pull some of it off.  I did a Meguiars hybrid ceramic pass after a Turtle pass and some of the black was coming off i think.  May just need to be careful which products you layer.

Also bought a SCA DA polisher and that made applying the stuff mucher easier.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2022 at 9:47 AM, GorGasm said:

Also bought a SCA DA polisher and that made applying the stuff mucher easier.

this one? - what is the vibration level like? 

Yep, I paid $97 I think. 

It's hard to say what the vibration is like as I haven't tried other devices.  It certainly vibrates a reasonable amount but I was quite happy with how it worked and it felt OK while using it.

Gave in after the pics on here and bought some of this stuff as well as the spray.

Car was very tidy anyway, so maybe hard to spot the difference, but certainly looks nice and shiny.    Just gotta wait to put the spray on, didnt realise it was 24 hours after the polish.

Also have that same DA from supercheap, seems to work well, however also have never used a DA before so no idea on comparison with other units.

• Like 1

For a good condition car I think there might be better options as I mainly used it to hide the paint damage on my car.  Turtle is still easy to apply and no white residue though.