Sign in to follow this  
Jun

Stone flew and damage to windshield, looking for advice

Driving near Martinborough yesterday, so nice cars (Corvettes, TVR, minis, RX7, etc.) on the opposite traffic.  One of cars probably picked up a stone, so as we passed by one another a stone hit our windshield (no this is not the M5, another car).  Anyway I have a $500 excess on windshield, it seems new policy doesn't have free windshield excess.  Just reduced excess, our standard excess is $1,000.  Put here a photo, I think this needs a repair definitely.  I know these days the repairs are really slow, due to supply chain issues.  Looking for the following advice:

- Best replacement shop in Wellington?  I know Smith and Smith but that is based from the commercials I have seen through the years.  I would want a place that knows how to properly replace it, weather strips, etc.

- I don't think it can be repaired anymore, dark spot is like a film in between the glass.  Externally there isn't a lot of damage when you feel the hands, damage is in between the glass.  Likely the glass is 2 or more layers.

- I would want it temporarily repaired I think, so it doesn't go bigger as we wait.  I believe the wait times now are in the months

Any other comments/advice that would be useful, I will call the insurance claim tomorrow.

IMG_7556.jpg

Looking at this a bit, seems I can probably repair this myself.  Seen a few bad stories/review about replacements, etc.  I would imagine the workmanship isn't going to be that great when it's replaced.  Repair kits are just like $35, I am pretty ok with these kind of things.  Question is if I repaired it myself and it doesn't really workout, can I still claim under insurance?

The complicated issue is the dark spot, likely the film in between.

Not sure what they charge up wellington way but Novus charge about $80 here to do a chip repair. 

• Like 1

Depends a lot on where abouts on the windscreen the damage is located. I'd suggest you get Novus to look at it and get their advice and a price to do the repair before going at it yourself. They have a pretty good guarantee for their repairs and if they do it you are not likely to get knocked back at WOF time.

Cheers...

• Like 1

Had Novus Porirua, repair a similar stone damage on my F11 Touring, did an excellent job and if your insurance is with Vero (hence $500 excess on replacement) the excess does not apply to repairs - so they picked up the tab.  Win win!

Oh and we were all travelling to Lake Ferry for their annual run.  Great selection of cars!

• Like 1