Sign in to follow this  
tmase

Auckland Pre Purchase Inspection

I'm looking into buying a later model 6 Series in Auckland and I would obviously feel a whole lot better with a thorough PPI from a business that knows BMWs, especially as I am from out of town. I'm trying to work in with the vendor who travels between West Auckland and Penrose and I have identified BM Workshop in Grey Lynn, Euro Service in Mount Wellington or the main BMW dealer in Newmarket that might be convenient for them. Is there anyone else that I should be looking at, or does anyone have a particular recommendation?

I viewed the car last week when I was in town for a work trip and it looks and drives pretty well, but really like it up on the hoist and an expert to cast an eye over it before I commit to anything.

I've got a 20 year E39 so I know what these cars can let you in for maintenance wise ( the M54 engine is great, but I think I have replaced most of the ancillaries and don't even start me on the cooling system!), and the 6 series is a far  more complex beast than that!

Many thanks

It's booked at BM Workshop for tomorrow. Thanks for your input. 

If anyone knows of any gotchas, or items I should put something aside for on the F06/F12/F13 6 series then I am also all ears. 

N57, I am aware the potential for timing chain stretch, but this sounded good on a cold start, no rattles

• Thanks 1

Noted, current owner has done their own changes with BMW LL-04 and genuine filters during their 2 year & 40,000kms ownership period. Pretty sure the check control says 5,000 kms to next oil service, so it's probably due now in reality. Current owner is going to see what records they can dig up prior to their ownership. 

Hmm, a self-serviced 640d, interesting. 

Yeah its not my preference either, hence my enthusiasm for having an expert take a good look to see if anything has been neglected.  There seem to be a few people doing their own N57s oil services online. I'm still chasing up the frequency that these occurred, hopefully it's more often than what BMW reckon it should be done. In saying that, car is quite tidy and looks to have been well cared for, as are the other vehicles in their driveway, it has no obvious issues or leaks that I could see and seems to run and drive well. 

• Like 1