Sign in to follow this  
aj46

e46 330i manual conversion

Been looking at purchasing a 6-cylinder e46 recently, but most listings on TradeMe are automatics and the manuals are generally priced out of my budget. 

How much would it cost to convert an automatic to a manual approximately? this seemed like a far better option to me as ill most likely be able to find an automatic that hasn't been thrashed too much in its past and is in good shape.

Depends if you're doing the work yourself or taking it to a shop. If the latter, then I suspect the labour will be the killer part in it. 

Parts wise, I've seen conversion kits sold locally for around $4.5k of late. That's with a ZF box. Personally, I got my kit shipped from the UK and came out to around $3.3k with the full driveshaft and a 2.93 diff (not strictly necessary). Add to that something like $750 for the certification if you want to do it properly and get it fully compliant. Plus all sorts of tools, consumables like oils and whatever bits you might want to replace preventatively (clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder etc.) whilst you're at it. Depends on how far you want to go.

At a minimum I'd say you'd want to budget for $4-5k.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

+1. Id say 5-6k if you doing in properly with ZF box, new shifter parts, driveshaft, cylinders and clutch\flywheel bits etc. Good portion of the converted ones are done on the cheap with Getrag box and old\sh*t parts used. Rarely see a properly converted ones for sale as id imagine people tend to keep them these days.      

Msport factory manuals are around ~15k if you can find one with standard spec manual being more common and cheaper at around ~10k. If that out of budget then id probably look at something else because buying these cars is the cheapest part (unless you buying one with all the work done and paying good money for it)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find it differcult to understand the percieved gain and over the top cost in a manual converstion of a 230 odd hp torque based motor. 

12 minutes ago, smiddy said:

I find it differcult to understand the percieved gain and over the top cost in a manual converstion of a 230 odd hp torque based motor. 

You're not alone.

Gain - for me, personally, grasping onto a bit of analog driving experience in an ever-increasingly automated world.

Over the top cost - basic supply and demand. For whatever reason, manuals are a rather rare breed in NZ, unfortunately, hence people being able to ask silly money for something that's fairly abundant in the old world.

I wouldn't be able to justify it to myself if I merely saw it as a mode of transportation. It's more of a hobby project at this point. That's why they call us enthusiasts I guess. 

• Like 3

You can pick up so called conversion kit. Box,clutch fluid res,hose,2nd hand 5speed and clutch $1200,the hard part is finding the shifter.