Sign in to follow this  
viskop

BMW Z3 with E36 M3 Engine

Hi all,

So it's been nearly 2 years since I sold my last BMW and bought a 2011 VW Golf MK6 GTi. I don't (really) miss my BMWs and I still love every single time I drive the GTi, however, since I was hit from behind in Palmy by a 25 year old young man who could not brake in time, the GTi is now waiting to get repaired, and since we no longer live in the Wellywood region, and have moved to the Tararua region, everything here is 100 times slower, and from what it seems, it is going to be a long time before I get my GTi back again.

With that said, if the GTi is not back to the way it drove before the car was hit, then it may take even longer to sort any little issue out. So now I'm browsing for a car...from GTIs to BMWs, to Mercs (I'm looking at a few C55 AMGs, also C63 AMGs) and what is strange is just how "cheap" most MK6 GTIs are, compared to nearly any BMW out there, no matter how old. I'd think that with the GTI's performance and how it sticks to the roads, that the GTi would be a better (including fuel economy) option compared to BMWs with similar performances. Anyhow, where I'm actually going with this is, I saw a "lovely" looking BMW Z3 (I don't really like the Z3 shape) online at O'Reilly's Garage in Petone that has the engine of an E36 M3 and the price seems very reasonable. Here's the link:

https://www.oreillysgarage.co.nz/listings/1998-bmw-z3-m-roadster/

What's everyone's thoughts on the Z3? I'm really really really tempted to buy it, but as I don't know the Z3s, and have never owned or driven one, I'm wondering if this will be similar to driving a go-kart...and I love go-karting! 🥰

Appreciate any suggestions/thoughts/likes/dislikes about this Z3.

Cheers,

Charl

Edited by viskop

I love the Z3's, currently have 3 of them.  Do not own a Z3M but one is a 3.0L, so I know about having 231 HP in a Z3.

They are a fun well connected to the road car.  The 2.7 turn to turn ratio steering is a joy in the twisties.

Torsional rigidity is low (not having a roof) and you can get a little scuttle shake if you are really pushing it hard.   That is why BMW put in the lower engine X brace and why the previous owner has put in the front top X brace.  So, this car is all sorted.

This car does not have ASC, so a little care and respect is needed in the wet.  It's very easy to get the rear to step out with all of that power under the hood.

The S50 engine is a strong engine.  Do you research on maintenance needs.  The speedo is in Miles.

Ride comfort.  My E46 with standard wheels and suspension is a flying carpet compared to the Z3.  The Z3 ride is not harsh, but you do feel the dumps a bit more.  I put this down to the road connected go-kart feel of the car.  If you are really interested in the Z3M, see if you can take it for a test drive over the Rimatuka's. You'll either love it or hate if after your 2 hour run.

The biggest weakness in the Z3M is the rear sub-frame.  The subframe breaks away from the boot floor and the diff hangers crack.  With the miles on the car, you need to get this inspected by someone who knows what they are looking for.  Root cause is too much power and a manual transmission.  People just love to drop the clutch and stress the subframe welds.  First thing to look at is the spot welds in the boot where the subframe attaches.  See any pulled or cracked welds, then walk away.  Alternatively, knock $10k off the purchase price and have a Randy Forbes kit installed and have it fixed for good.  Lots of photos and information on the interweb, so do your research.

The price is good.  A Z3M for under $30k is a bargain.

• Like 2

I've had that M Roadster on my watchlist for a while now and I'm honestly surprised no one has snapped it up yet. If the car was local to me I would be down in a flash to check it out. Quite a few people just have no idea what it even is. Seems very fairly priced considering how rare the M Roadster is. The only thing off putting for me are the wheels which do not suit the car at all imo. 

I reckon if you got some factory Style 40 wheels and sourced a silver hard top roof you will have a very sought after little machine. 

Another dealer is trying to sell a silver M Roadster for $80K, while I think this is a little absurd in the current market, I can only see these shooting up in value, especially as the coupes climb in value. 

• Like 1

Also very rare in diesel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, NZ00Z3 said:

I love the Z3's, currently have 3 of them.  Do not own a Z3M but one is a 3.0L, so I know about having 231 HP in a Z3.

They are a fun well connected to the road car.  The 2.7 turn to turn ratio steering is a joy in the twisties.

Torsional rigidity is low (not having a roof) and you can get a little scuttle shake if you are really pushing it hard.   That is why BMW put in the lower engine X brace and why the previous owner has put in the front top X brace.  So, this car is all sorted.

This car does not have ASC, so a little care and respect is needed in the wet.  It's very easy to get the rear to step out with all of that power under the hood.

The S50 engine is a strong engine.  Do you research on maintenance needs.  The speedo is in Miles.

Ride comfort.  My E46 with standard wheels and suspension is a flying carpet compared to the Z3.  The Z3 ride is not harsh, but you do feel the dumps a bit more.  I put this down to the road connected go-kart feel of the car.  If you are really interested in the Z3M, see if you can take it for a test drive over the Rimatuka's. You'll either love it or hate if after your 2 hour run.

The biggest weakness in the Z3M is the rear sub-frame.  The subframe breaks away from the boot floor and the diff hangers crack.  With the miles on the car, you need to get this inspected by someone who knows what they are looking for.  Root cause is too much power and a manual transmission.  People just love to drop the clutch and stress the subframe welds.  First thing to look at is the spot welds in the boot where the subframe attaches.  See any pulled or cracked welds, then walk away.  Alternatively, knock $10k off the purchase price and have a Randy Forbes kit installed and have it fixed for good.  Lots of photos and information on the interweb, so do your research.

The price is good.  A Z3M for under $30k is a bargain.

Thank you for your valuable information. My son works at O'Reilly's, well, actually more than just work there. (Long story)

Will have a chat with him when he arrives here (Pahiatua) later this evening. :)

5 hours ago, Kees said:

I've had that M Roadster on my watchlist for a while now and I'm honestly surprised no one has snapped it up yet. If the car was local to me I would be down in a flash to check it out. Quite a few people just have no idea what it even is. Seems very fairly priced considering how rare the M Roadster is. The only thing off putting for me are the wheels which do not suit the car at all imo. 

I reckon if you got some factory Style 40 wheels and sourced a silver hard top roof you will have a very sought after little machine. 

Another dealer is trying to sell a silver M Roadster for $80K, while I think this is a little absurd in the current market, I can only see these shooting up in value, especially as the coupes climb in value. 

I was in Wellington about 2 weeks ago, and I saw this Z3 at O'Reilly's. It looks a little ugly with the E46 M3 wheels, yes, however, when I started it...I drooled and fell in love with it! I have an itch...I want it, and will speak to my son when he gets here to Pahiatua within the next hour.  

• Like 1

It's a Z3M, a real go-kart.  Be prepared for ///M maintenance costs though.  

agree re the e46 M3 rims - just not right for it.

• Like 1

it also spent it's first 20 years and nearly 100k miles in UK, so best you get a look under it's skirts with the shrowds off, if it was from where the southern softies are, or only driven sparingly in Summer, you should be okay.  Salt kills.  Yes it would have had a stringent inspection in 2018 on entry, but tread carefully.  Stuff that never rusts in NZ can be incredibly crusty.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Palazzo said:

Also very rare in diesel.

My son said that's a typo. He'll speak to the team to have that updated. 👍

My son arrived with a Mercedes...E350! What a lovely machine!

Think I'll rather give that a test drive tomorrow and see how that goes. 

Thanks to everyone who gave advise on the Z3M, much appreciated.

Squirrel! ----> zoom.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Olaf said:

Squirrel! ----> zoom.

I've decided to buy the 2010 Mercedes E350 Coupe....for now, just to get around (for now) while the Golf awaits repairs. However, I've already spoken to Simon (O'Reilly)...I asked him to be on the lookout for me for a C63 AMG...🤩