Sign in to follow this  
SmithyInWelly

2nd gen X3

13 hours ago, m325i said:

Black looks great. Have a white twin. Dope cars. I switched to non RFTs and the ride is better but now i realise  that is so risky on long runs (even with an inflator) I think i will go back. 

Runflats are only rated for 50 miles (80km) driving when not inflated. More than that and they break up. The foam tyre inflators are also rated for 50-100 miles. Either way, you have 80km from getting a flat tyre to get to somewhere you can find a new one.

I think these look pretty good. The facelift ones are a bit nicer but not worth the price premium. The X4 facelift version is nice too. 

Upgrade path not obvious with this one. The next model up for the X3 is a huge diff in price, but it is really nice! 

Lexus NX300, UX250h, Jaguar F Pace, kia sportage, hyundai sante fe?

also hyunday ioniq 5 and kia ev6!

8 hours ago, TonyT said:

Runflats are only rated for 50 miles (80km) driving when not inflated. More than that and they break up. The foam tyre inflators are also rated for 50-100 miles. Either way, you have 80km from getting a flat tyre to get to somewhere you can find a new one.

Success rate if a runflat - 100%. Success rate of the inflator kit - 15%

The steady supply of these onto the market continues, just keep watching TradeMe.  There's a non-Msport one advertised in Welly recently for under $12k (!), in good condition, well maintained and under 160k kms.  Bargain.

Mine's on the Dunlop BMW-part number runflats, I think they're pretty good, nice match to the suspension and not harsh.   A little noisy on coarse chip.  Aparrently Pirelli's  (BMW part number) are great but chop out quickly in NZ road conditions, according to the dealer I bought it from.  He's owned a few F25s and prefers the Dunlops.

I agree with @qube, the LCI's look nicer, though not worth the premium, despite a few improvements.

Edited by Olaf

6 hours ago, Olaf said:

He's owned a few F25s and prefers the Dunlops.

Just went from Dunlop Sport Maxx 050+ (non rft) to Hankook S1 Evo2 (RFT). Honestly not much difference in ride quality at all.

• Like 1

what sort of price were the S1 Evo2's per corner, Nick @m325i?  I reckon the F25 isn't worth running without RFT's - no space for a spare and jack, and the load space isn't huge to start with!

23 hours ago, Olaf said:

what sort of price were the S1 Evo2's per corner, Nick @m325i?  I reckon the F25 isn't worth running without RFT's - no space for a spare and jack, and the load space isn't huge to start with!

Like ~$450 each

bonus, less pricey than dealer retail on the Dunlops.  Are you rating them?

• Like 1

They seems pretty good. I'm just driving around town etc. Only been on the motorway briefly.