Sign in to follow this  
Xander

2000 528i e39 advice and parts

Hi Everyone, 

I recently became a member with this beauty of a 2000 528i e39 (factory manual). Drove her up over the weekend from Christ Church to Auckland what an experience. Let's just say fun, but also some temper tantrums along the way. However, I wouldn't have it any other way.  

I am just wondering if any one was scrapping similar projects, had old parts they wanted to get rid of, or sell etc...

I am not looking to build a race car but just improve her a little bit e.g. strut bar, exhaust (something low key), improve the suspension, improve the gear stick and some of the parts, headlights and potentially a body kit(still hesitant on this one).

I know Rome wasn't built in a day and it will be a process but any help and advice I would appreciate. 

I have been doing my research but so much options and most of the 528i post in this forums are kind of old seems like they are forgotten about or every one go straight to the big brother the 540i.

I look forward to hearing from you soon

Cheers

20220814_104940.jpg

• Like 1

Full suspension refresh - struts, rubber bushings, mounts and control arms would likely yield a good improvement in handling and stability - many of these cars are still rolling on mostly original tired parts. 

New shifter bushings along with E60 short shifter and ZHP knob would improve the shift and gets rid of the long throw.

M-sport body kits for these are getting expensive and hard to find in good condition these days (esp the front bumpers $500+).

Should be able find a set of angle eye headlights for around $300-$400 mark.

Wouldn't bother with a strut brace myself for a car like this. Makes it annoying to work on engine also.

I made a thread about my old 530i i converted to manual. Maybe of some interest if you havent seen it. Sold most of the parts now though but have 2x sets of near new OE engines mounts if you are after a pair for cheap

• Like 1

If you can get your hands on an M-sport body kit I would do it now. As Eagle said above, parts like this are getting expensive and they will only continue in one direction. 

A factory manual 528i E39 deserves some love for sure. Full suspension refresh would bring the thing back to life. Every BMW that I have owned that was approaching 20 years was passing WOFs but when the rubber hit the road they drove nothing like the factory car because the suspension was tired. Once refreshed they were like driving a different car and you also will have peace of mind knowing that some guy at VTNZ isn't going to ping you on a bush or mount (thought it will probably be something else with these things!). 

If you are a YouTube person and like long, nerdy, detailed videos I HIGHLEY suggest M539 Restorations for inspiration and DIY ideas for everything from interior tidy up to full engine rebuilds.  

Edit: post more photos of that beauty and maybe include the VIN!

Edited by MilesP
  • Like 1

Very detailed thanks for this Eagle, I definitely had a look at your post a good couple of times (I have been eyeing this and other forums for sometime before buying). Yes a full suspension over haul will be loading :). Also I appreciate you and Miles taking the time out to speak and help me.

As requested pics now attached :). Not shown here but cup holders unbroken, but other parts like radio and climate control buttons (some) unsticking haha we have a love hate more love tho 

HindsClassics4.jpg

HindsClassics3.jpg

HindsClassics34.jpg

HindsClassics10.jpg

HindsClassics23.jpg

HindsClassics12.jpg

HindsClassics31.jpg

HindsClassics38.jpg

• Like 4

Looks very tidy

Edited by Eagle

Thats nice, really like it- I'd take a 6 cyl over an 8 cyl variant. A factory suspension refresh would be just what it needs, too many aftermarket kits are aimed at boyracers (young thrash drivers??) and are excessively low, crashy and actually make it handle worse. New standard suspension is really good; new, fully refreshed Motorsport suspension is awesome. Have always found the white nylon cup that the gearstick sits in is worn out and/or broken, big improvements to be had replacing this one part. I found a strut brace just got in the way for the very small peace of mind it gave against deforming strut towers, it's really not a performance mod.

Thanks YTD, it seems all of the advice so far lines ups... Taking it this Friday to BM workshop for a check up :)... I will see what they say and what parts they offer.

Noted about the strut bar, thanks not looking for performance just want to build my dream car and make sure she handles well, will looking in to the suspension and bushing as recommended.

Btw, I was wondering your opinions on an idea - a group, car meet with a learning experience / brotherhood type of setting 

I ask this because like cars but don't have the facility, space, tools yet and want to work on my car but some of the jobs can seem kind of daunting (fear of what could go wrong).

So I was thinking of a car meet with a little more, see below:

1. BBQ/food included or on the premises (brings ppl together), 

2. At the meet there would be a show and tell, e.g if someone is changing brakes others can come around and watch the process or help. This can also be monetized e.g. People can say what they need done before the meet, brakes, shocks, radio installation etc... if you are good with your hands you could offer to do it on site or for them at the meet for some quick cash.

3. You have you have a house or garage with a hoist or tools you can host a small meet there if you don't mind, even if you want to charge a little something for electricity etc..

4. Networking opportunities - if you have a mobile business for tires, car wash, details you can operate get client jobs on site. 

I guess I am trying to build a community, friend group while helping others. It is always good when you can talk to others about more then just cars you never know what someone is going through but also build awesome car projects.

Sorry for the rant but that is kind of a run down not full detail but you get the gist. Knowledge is meant to be shared. Feel free to critique the crazy idea.